• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hairy cold

Just been up shed to say night to bunny's in shed ,it :censored: cold out there :lol:, the main shed is just above freeeezing, next door is another shed with a run on the front, which my 6 hare cross something :lol: live in, the shed I stuffed with bedding and hay to make it snuggy for them, and blow me down there they are all sitting in a line, I open the gate and they all bound over looking for any left overs from kitchen :love::love: sometimes wonder if we worry to much about them, although I got this news letter from Dee Millen .. did make me think ;)

Cold Weather warning.......................................
I would like to send out a reminder to pet rabbit owners to, warn them of the dangers of hypothermia and frostbite in pets during the winter months.

Despite often having thick coats of fur, any animal has the potential to develop frostbite after ongoing contact with any cold surface, although Hypothermia is more likely to be seen in small, aged, young or sick animals, particularly in breeds with thinner coats or naturally low body fat.

I advise owners of small furries, such as Guinea pigs and Rabbits to house them indoors during sever winter weather. Or make sure that your pets has a warm area in the hutch that they can snuggle in.
A very good idea is to have a small cardboard box stuffed with hay, with a heat pod placed underneath it, these are ideal as they will hold there temperature for over ten hours. Young or elderly Rabbits or Guinea pigs have difficulties in controlling the temperature of their bodies. A bunny can go down hill very quickly. It is advisable to cover the an outside cage with a thick blanket or plastic cover of a night, or if in a shed a blanket to keep the heat in.
If you have one of my hutches i do a range of tailor made covers, for them , with plastic window so they can be left down during a cold day.

My veterinary surgeon, revealed that shivering in an animal is the primary sign that an animal is cold, but that shivering stops when an animals body temperature becomes critically lowered after which animals appear subdued with cold paws and ears. He said:-

“Frostbite, which develops through prolonged contact with cold surfaces, can affect a pet’s ears, paws, tail, scrotum and mammary glands. Affected skin will at first appear white and will be itchy and painful.
In severe cases, the skin will turn black. Owners should check their pet over regularly as a pet’s fur can hide frostbite damage. The first thing you should do if you suspect your pet is suffering from hypothermia or frostbite is to make sure they are dry.
Then, gradually raise their body temperature by placing them next to a well-covered hot water bottle or heat pod or use a hair dryer, on a low heat. It is very important to call or visit your vet for advice.

Don’t ignore the signs of possible hypothermia and don’t take any chances.

It’s easy for us to wrap up warm and add on layers to keep us snug, but it’s not that simple for our pets, if your pets lives in an outside hutch, or cold shed/garage do not keep bringing it indoors to play and then return it to a cold cage/hutch, this is one sure way for your pet to get a chill or worst. If you are using the hay box with heat pod idea, then when you bring your pet indoors, place the pod under the hay box, so that when you return your pet, it will have a nice warm area ready and waiting.

Freezing Water Bottles.............................

I use a product called Vyderphor this is a four in one disinfectant, not only does it help to stop the water from freezing, it also stop the bottles from going green in the summer. It keeps the water fresh and clean. it can also if used stronger be used for cage and aerial disinfecting as well as scrubbing out food dishes and litter trays, i find it very good for getting rid of buck wee from up the walls of cages.
http://www.deemillen.co.uk/product_i...6599e08550e3d4

An idea is to have two bottles on the go, one on the cage with a bottle cover on, the other indoors, when you go out to check bunnies you swap the bottles over, the rabbits will drink almost straight away because the water will be at room temperature, which they enjoy, and they will soon learn that when it is cold, mummy or daddy will swap bottles.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Special January offer: Free Bottle cover (worth £2.25) with every heat pod .....

Bought in January, please put B>C offer in comments box, and i will pop one in with your order.

Heat pod link to site..............
http://www.deemillen.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=75_102&products_id=426
bottle cover link to site..............
http://www.deemillen.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=73_95&products_id=257

Back