• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greenhouse heaters

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Any one use the tubular type in their sheds?

As it's so cold I'm going to run extension cables down to the sheds and get some heating in there.

Hera and Ra's shed is completely insulated and overboarded but was still minus 2 this afternoon - gawd knows what it is like overnight when we're dipping down to -10.

Any tips on heating in sheds greatly appreciated!

They are great. I got one last year from Argos and as it is so cold this year I have bought another one. It really takes the chill of their wendy house without getting too hot.

I also have mine on a time going off occasionally so they don't get too hot. They have a safety thing built in too.

You would have to make sure that your bunnies could not touch them as they do get hot.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...00001151&langId=-1&searchTerms=tubular+heater

They are great. I got one last year from Argos and as it is so cold this year I have bought another one. It really takes the chill of their wendy house without getting too hot.

I also have mine on a time going off occasionally so they don't get too hot. They have a safety thing built in too.

You would have to make sure that your bunnies could not touch them as they do get hot.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...00001151&langId=-1&searchTerms=tubular+heater

Does that use much electric?

:oops::oops: No idea. Each one is 80W if that helps. We only have them turned on during the winter on very cold nights and reduce it to 1 on less cold nights until spring time.

The ones I linked to use about the same as a normal light bulb, you can get them in a variety of power ranges so this does vary quite a bit between the different ones.

Any one use the tubular type in their sheds?

!
I do:D:D:D
Have got two in each shed, attached to thermostat, so i can alter the temp, always have it on frost guard, putting it up to 6 when i have babies due, When you walk in a shed from outside they feel nice and warm, plus i never get frozen bottles,:p:p
As to the cost, i have stupidly high elec bill because of running three Air con units in the summer, so the winter quarters are always less as the heaters use less.
:p:wave:

I had a wendy build for my 2 & it is completely insulated, but last year one night last year their bowl of water was all ice :( so i went to B & Q & got this heater,
Can't find it on b&q now tho but found it here
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=599

It is so good, i run the extension from their home to the garage, you set it to what temp you want & thats it, it keeps that temp in there all the time, & its great for summer to, as it blows very cold air out as well if you want. I have had to use it 3 times since last month & i will be using it again tonight.

Whatever you do remember to be careful and not leave any heaters unattended. Heaters in a small space are a huge fire hazzard :wave:

Whatever you do remember to be careful and not leave any heaters unattended. Heaters in a small space are a huge fire hazzard :wave:

That was my main worry with them being in sheds full of hay.

I was looking to mount them up out of reach and covered with a guard.

What size do you guys use?

I was looking at a 4ft 240w one for my 10x7 shed - would this be too big

Thanks for all the replies!

I had a wendy build for my 2 & it is completely insulated, but last year one night last year their bowl of water was all ice :( so i went to B & Q & got this heater,
Can't find it on b&q now tho but found it here
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=599

It is so good, i run the extension from their home to the garage, you set it to what temp you want & thats it, it keeps that temp in there all the time, & its great for summer to, as it blows very cold air out as well if you want. I have had to use it 3 times since last month & i will be using it again tonight.

But where do you stand it so the bunnies don't get at it...including the cable?

I've got one of those tubular heaters in the room I have my indoor piggies in. It just takes the edge off the cold for them, without having to have the central heating on. They don't make a huge impact on the temperature though. We fit ours half way up the wall, so the hay didn't fall on it and not get noticed.

We have a 6 x 4 wendy house and have two of the ones from Argos. They are attached to the wall of the wendy house out of reach of any hay and bunnies (above their toilet area).

We have also insulated the walls with silver stuff from B&Q and then put plyboard over that on the walls (which is where tubular heaters are attached).

I also have recently considered putting in a fire alarm thing and baby monitors just in case anything happens - am I being paranoid :oops:

We have a 6 x 4 wendy house and have two of the ones from Argos. They are attached to the wall of the wendy house out of reach of any hay and bunnies (above their toilet area).

We have also insulated the walls with silver stuff from B&Q and then put plyboard over that on the walls (which is where tubular heaters are attached).

I also have recently considered putting in a fire alarm thing and baby monitors just in case anything happens - am I being paranoid :oops:

I've been looking for a wireless temperature / smoke alarm. The problem is that all the wireless smoke alarms have a sire in the detector too and this would be extremely stressful for the rabbits if there was a false alarm.

But where do you stand it so the bunnies don't get at it...including the cable?

It is fixed near the top of the wendy house & there is a hole for the wire to go through at the top, so there is no wires at all showing in there. The boys cannot get to the heater at all.

Back