• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another question about E.C

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
will E.C kill a rabbit eventually? or can they still live along life with it if kept panacured etc?

this question has been playing on my mind for a while now and cant find anything on the internet.

As far as i know they can live a normal length life if they have had EC and been treated, just depends on the individual bun i think.

ahright im not sure if the E.C did any damage to misty like it did with Lilli-Mais kidneys. if anything i think i was lucky with Misty. ah well im hoping he was a long healthy life :D im going to keep himpanacured every 3/4 months to so hopefully that will help :)

Having active EC and having it inside them are very different things.

Once a case is active it is fatal, but if they just carry it then it won't necessarily ever become active, but times of stress and illness can make it more likely for it to come on (basically any time their immune system is low).

So a carrier won't necessarily get it actively, if that makes sense.

my bun sooty has probably had two bouts of active infection & he's still going strong (his first bout was over a year ago). If nothing else happens to him god willing it probably will be the EC that kills him as it's very hard to repair damaged kidney tissue but hopefully he will be with us for many more years yet.

Last edited:
Once a case is active it is fatal, but if they just carry it then it won't necessarily ever become active, but times of stress and illness can make it more likely for it to come on (basically any time their immune system is low).

Is it though?

Will all actively affected EC bunnies eventually suffer organ failure or fatal CNS damage even if they have gone into remission, even those whose previous symptoms consisted of something like cataracts for example. :?

I'd be interested to see any research you have found on this. :)

A lot of rabbits are carriers but never have symptoms. If caught early, an "attack" (i.e. EC becoming active - often brought on by stress) can have its symptoms stopped or made better by Panacur.

Quality of life is dependent on the damage done IMO...

I will be really interested in the info at the RWA conference about this!

I've gathered that from a guy who has studied EC extensively over in the US and has worked with many buns, so I don't have any research, just his words and wisdom.

Having active EC and having it inside them are very different things.

So a carrier won't necessarily get it actively, if that makes sense.

Sorry but I don't agree with that, I have had bunnies that have had active EC, have been treated, and then gone on to live 'normal' lives

I guess it depends what you deem an active case of EC (which sounds a stupid thing to say, but I know that different people have different opinions on what is an active case). I'm not saying anything has to believe what I say, I normally talk garbage anyway :)

I had an EC bunny that went on to have a long and happy life. She was sent to a rabbit specialict vets who apart from the normal medication also gave her milk thistle (herbal). One of my Fosterers bunnies got active EC a few months ago which caused head tilt but with the treatment of panacur and baytril she as made a full recovery to the extent that her head tilt as gone:D she is just now having panacur every couple of months to keep it at bay.
I can only go of the cases I know about and say that it wasn't fatel in the buns I know have had active EC. There is fatalities and also good news stories with every disease.

As you know Digger was very ill just before Xmas to the extent i was considering him p.t.s. :(
I battled with it and we won. :D
Whether it will come back, i don't know, but i am now going to panacur him every 4 months and hope it never recurs to as bad as his head tilt was.
To see him run round the garden is wonderful.
He still has a slight tilt, but his down eye has re,opened, after total shut down off over a month.
I'm so glad i had the faith to keep him going. :D

Back