• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping rabbits inside on the winter

Mia

Warren Scout
I have a bit of a quandary, Miffy has not been very well (see my other thread re this) and as such I have kept him and his brother in the house for the past week, he is much better now but I really worry about the difference of inside and outside temperatures.
Their pattern (normally before Miffy was ill that is) is that they are out all night and during day and they come in for at least 6 hours a night. The trouble is at the moment they are in all night and go out during day. I really dont want them a) to lose their winter coats b) to suffer from the change in temp.

ps I have always brought them in each evening and put them out at bedtime, they are 4 years old now, but I am worried now re the transition of putting them out every bedtime again, esp as the weather is bitter at the moment (and yes they have a TON of hay in their hutches!)

:wave:

I had to bring BB and her fella Joey in the Monday before Xmas as BB was recovering from an op.
I had to keep her in for a week anyway to keep the wound clean, but the temp dropped so low so quickly that I haven't been able to put them back out.

They are currently hogging my conservatory (actually sitting most of the time directly under the radiator:lol:) and will now stay in until Spring.

I think when they are poorly or recovering these temperatures are too cold for them - they need to use their energy to get well rather than keep warm.

Is it too much of a pain to keep them in until the temperatures rise?

Nicholas was bereaved in November, and he was so lonely, I bought him indoors for the winter. He now has a wife, who has been an outdoor bun till now, but she has come indoors for him, so we now have a pair indoors and 3 outdoors.

Back