• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do some supposed 'rescuers' breed rabbits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Over the years I've met quite a number of local people who claim to 'rescue' but also breed and sell rabbits at the same time. None (as far as I'm aware) have required a home check, and will sell un-neutered baby rabbits for as little as £10.

Why do this? It really doesn't make sense to me :?

(BTW I'm not really talking about people who breed high quality pedigree rabbits for showing, etc, and rescue on the side...I can see why people might do this)

(ETA That I'm not referring to anybody on here! :))

Last edited:
I know someone who "rescues"

she asks £20 for taking them in, but if they come with hutch, or are mxyi vaccs, its free :shock:

she used to rehome for free:shock:
but now the bedding/feed costs have caught up with her, she asks a minimumm of £5:shock:

her site shocked me and Louise, she breeds lionheads with frenchlops :shock:
and decided to keep one of the rescue buns as she had fallen in love with him, and below it said (watch out for his babies one day:shock:)

she had a "stud page" where she would hire her buck out to you for £25 if you "couldnt afford to get another bun to have babies with yours":evil:

she now ALSO does boarding, telling people it is fine for their pairs to be boarded in 4ft hutches :roll:

OH, and advertises the babies as good for christmas/presents :censored:

Madness isn't it? Why add to the problem of unwanted pets by selling un-neutered rabbits cheaply to any random person who comes along!? If supposed 'rescuers' don't care about their rabbits, then why should other pet owners? :shock:

Dreadful:cry:

I've known of a "rescue" who told me a rescue rex that was handed in was not for adoption as his babies sell so well:evil:

also one who has repeated "accidental" litters..

Madness isn't it? Why add to the problem of unwanted pets by selling un-neutered rabbits cheaply to any random person who comes along!? If supposed 'rescuers' don't care about their rabbits, then why should other pet owners? :shock:

exactly, it gives us a bad name :(

It's bad. There are a lot of people who keep rabbits but are quite ignorant about them. They obviously haven't discovered RU!

I know of 2 individuals round here who have not only rescued and bred/sold at the same time, but both of whom rescued and then bred from the rescue rabbits...

Thanks to the Animal Welfare Act (it pretty much stands to reason that any place doing this isn't keeping them in suitable conditions) and a good local RSPCA inspector, neither of these people have any bunnies any longer :)

People are people I guess. It is trerrible but maybe they think the rabbits are subsidising the rescue work? They usually find a way to justify it.

Well to be honest....you could ask some of the people on here..

As they breed rabbits and guinea pigs, come on a site like this that advocates the problem of numbers in rescues and still don't see anything wrong with what they are doing.... :roll:

I don't agree that you can breed animals AND take in rescues (thinking you are doing your bit). It's a bit hypocritical IMO.

Certainly is food for thought!:?

I get tired of having to explain the good work Rescues do - it's like there's a stigma to having a Rescue animal cos they have "problems":roll: Then people like this give them a bad name:roll:

ETA: I mean people breeding from Rescue animals.

I gave up trying to understand what makes people do what they do years ago.
Its just sad that with the wealth of information now available some folk still just dont get it :cry:

I get tired of having to explain the good work Rescues do - it's like there's a stigma to having a Rescue animal cos they have "problems":roll: Then people like this give them a bad name:roll:

ETA: I mean people breeding from Rescue animals.

That's why people should always support rescues who neuter and homecheck :D

I wonder if they genuinely think they're 'rescuing', or whether they think calling themselves a rescue gives them kudos? (like how some breeders join the BRC just so they can sell their badly-bred stock as 'BRC registered')

Thanks to the Animal Welfare Act (it pretty much stands to reason that any place doing this isn't keeping them in suitable conditions) and a good local RSPCA inspector, neither of these people have any bunnies any longer :)

Exaclty...it also needs someone who cares enough to bring these places to the attention of RSPCA/ local council etc

Omg Ive never heard of things like this? Thats like me getting buns and breeding them but still doing rescue, ermm im contradiciting myself and my beleives then :?

Some of the things im reading on here has shocked me, these people cant call them selves rescue :censored:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back