• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm afraid I am going to lose her :o( U/D Zion & I helping her to the bridge :o(

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hi all

I am so worried about Fia I think I may lose her.

I think she started to go into stasis on Sunday but I didn't call the vet because she was still eating some things. I have had that before with Fia and she generally started to eat again and fixed herself.

Yesterday morning she wouldn't even do that so made an emergency appt at the vet.

Vet said her stomach was empty but her gut was full of 'mushy stuff' and needed to be pushed through. They took her round the back and gave her some subcut fluid straight into her abdomen, metaclop and metcam. She gave me some minerals/salts to put into water and syringe her with and 2 more doses of metaclop to inject her with. She said she needed fluid to break down the exisiting mush and push it through.

I had to go to work but my OH kept an eye on her and kept trying to tempt her to no avail. I tried to syringe her the water solution but have only managed about 400mls and half of that has ended upon the towel. I am not sure if I am doing it right. I gave her another dose of metaclop at 8pm last night and the other dose this morning.

I don't know if she has poo'd as I can't tell the difference between her a Zions poos. There are some small dark ones there but I don't think there are enough poos to be 2 bunnies worth. Her stomach doesn't feel as bad as last night but there are still some hard spots with fully formed poos in there. She still won't eat anything.

I have put her in the kitchen this morning whilst I get ready for work to see if she will do any poos so I know she has done some. I am going to get my OH to take her back to the vet this morning. I'm worried I haven't given her enough fluid.

I am so worried I don't know what else to do. Had the worst nights sleep and feel awful.

Thanks for listening. Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
:love: thinking of you. I havent had expeience so I cant advise but i think taking her back to the vet will ease your mind. Please keep us all updated. You try and relax sounds like you all had a rough night xxx

Hello I think It would be a good Idea to get Fia back to the vets so that she can be admitted and be put on IV fluids and make sure she is warm before you take her.Sending loads of recovery vibes.I would also get some probiotics.I woud also ask your vet about presciing some ranitidine,zantac as rabbits can suffer gastric ulcers when they have got an episode of stasis

Last edited:
Hello I think It would be a good Idea to get Fia back to the vets so that she can be admitted and be put on IV fluids and make sure she is warm before you take her.Sending loads of recovery vibes.I would also get some probiotics.

Yes I think this is what the vet will do when she goes back this morning. She is in the kitchen so this should be warming her up as she is an outdoor bunny.

She is already on Avipro for her megacolon condition so I have probiotics.

Thanks for vibes :(

Oh Shiv not Fia :cry:

I think the Vet needs to Xray her abdomen. If the exit from her stomach (the pylorus) is blocked then metoclop' is not appropriate at all.
Getting more subcutaneous fluids into her (or preferably IV fluids) is essential.

I really would urge you to request a conscious abdominal Xray/Ultra-sound ASAP

Sending millions of vibes

xx

ETA Ranitidine (Zantac) may be useful. Although its an anti-GI ulcer med it has been found to have the side effect of increasing gastric emptying but not in the same way as metoclop'. I have a Bun with a chronic pyloric stenosis and Ranitidine has pulled him back from the brink on numerous occasions.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments.

I have just spoken to the vet. I'm so upset right now.

She has been admitted and is on IV fluids. He said that strictly speaking she isn't in stasis because everything is pretty much collected and compacted in her colon, which is due to her megacolon. However gut sounds have now ceased as nothing is moving through.

They have given her some more metacam, ranitidine (on my request), liquid paraffin and are feeding her critical care every hour which apparently she is taking well. She won't take anything when offered to her tho. She has grass and hay available to her but she isn't touching it. They're getting some veg for her now.

They are transferring her to their bigger branch at about 4pm so that she will have nurse care overnight and they can continue with the IV and critical care (the idea being that if the body recognises things are going in one end that the other end will respond).

He did say because it is the end of the gut (i.e. the colon) it is much more difficult and there is a possibility the colon just isn't coping and she won't respond to treatment and I may have to let her go to the bridge. However that is a bit further down the line.

He did say they would carry out an x-ray if there is no improvement and Joe has already signed a consent form for that.

I know it's terrible but I am not convinced she isn't going to pull through this. If all of the cecal/fecal matter is compacted in her colon is all that really going to get through the small hole it needs to come out of? Can this really be fixed. I don't know what to think I am becoming more devasted the longer it goes on.

I guess the positive is that she is responding to the syringe feeding so maybe she is fighting but it's so hard.

Anyhoo there is my update. Thank you all for your support. Will update again later.

Shiv :(

Thank you all for your comments.

I have just spoken to the vet. I'm so upset right now.

She has been admitted and is on IV fluids. He said that strictly speaking she isn't in stasis because everything is pretty much collected and compacted in her colon, which is due to her megacolon. However gut sounds have now ceased as nothing is moving through.

They have given her some more metacam, ranitidine (on my request), liquid paraffin and are feeding her critical care every hour which apparently she is taking well. She won't take anything when offered to her tho. She has grass and hay available to her but she isn't touching it. They're getting some veg for her now.

They are transferring her to their bigger branch at about 4pm so that she will have nurse care overnight and they can continue with the IV and critical care (the idea being that if the body recognises things are going in one end that the other end will respond).

He did say because it is the end of the gut (i.e. the colon) it is much more difficult and there is a possibility the colon just isn't coping and she won't respond to treatment and I may have to let her go to the bridge. However that is a bit further down the line.

He did say they would carry out an x-ray if there is no improvement and Joe has already signed a consent form for that.

I know it's terrible but I am not convinced she isn't going to pull through this. If all of the cecal/fecal matter is compacted in her colon is all that really going to get through the small hole it needs to come out of? Can this really be fixed. I don't know what to think I am becoming more devasted the longer it goes on.

I guess the positive is that she is responding to the syringe feeding so maybe she is fighting but it's so hard.

Anyhoo there is my update. Thank you all for your support. Will update again later.

Shiv :(

If they can get her colon working again soon then there is a good chance she can recover. Keeping her gut contents hydrated is really important and the IVs will help her a lot.

I have found that giving a shot of Vitamin B can be useful as an appetite stimulant :?
I really hope that Fia can pull through this

xx

Hi, (Helen from Homebase here!) - hope Fia gets better, so worrying. Thought Id lost mine the other week when I let them nibble Christmas tree, spent all of Xmas day worrying. Hope its ok :)

Thank you Jane - your replies are great relief to me :) I guess they are doing all they can for her. I just hope they are doing enough to get the colon going again. It's been a while now since nothing has come out though :(

Hi Helen - good to see you on here :) Thanks for your well wishes. This is a great site :)

Hi hun Ive just logged on to see how Fia is getting on.I'm sending mega vibes that her colon starts working properly soon

Last edited:
Thank you all for your vibes. Hopefully they will get through to Fia soon.

Well I have just got back from visiting her at the vets and what a sorry state she is :( I have such a headache from balling my eyes out on the floor whilst sitting with her.

She has a drip in her ear and is all huddled up in the corner. Although a couple of times she got up and walked about and tried to get out of the cage which I took as a good sign :)

She was grinding her teeth quite a lot. Apparently they gave her a pain killer this morning which should last 24hours but thankfully the rabbit savvy vet who diagnosed her Megacolon is on duty tonight and tomorrow and if she feels she needs more she'll give it to her. It's a massive relief to me that she is on duty. At least I know she knows her stuff.

I need to ring them again after 9pm to see how she is doing. I said they can call me any time if her condition worsens and if they feel they shouldn't go on anymore with the treatment then they have to tell me so I can take Zion to say goodbye :(

I know I shouldn't be pessimistic but I can't help it. I just cannot get my head around the concept of such a large amount of stuff in her colon coming out of such a small place :?

Will keep you all updated. Keep sending your vibes. I really hope she pulls through!

Thank you all for your vibes. Hopefully they will get through to Fia soon.

Well I have just got back from visiting her at the vets and what a sorry state she is :( I have such a headache from balling my eyes out on the floor whilst sitting with her.

She has a drip in her ear and is all huddled up in the corner. Although a couple of times she got up and walked about and tried to get out of the cage which I took as a good sign :)

She was grinding her teeth quite a lot. Apparently they gave her a pain killer this morning which should last 24hours but thankfully the rabbit savvy vet who diagnosed her Megacolon is on duty tonight and tomorrow and if she feels she needs more she'll give it to her. It's a massive relief to me that she is on duty. At least I know she knows her stuff.

I need to ring them again after 9pm to see how she is doing. I said they can call me any time if her condition worsens and if they feel they shouldn't go on anymore with the treatment then they have to tell me so I can take Zion to say goodbye :(

I know I shouldn't be pessimistic but I can't help it. I just cannot get my head around the concept of such a large amount of stuff in her colon coming out of such a small place :?

Will keep you all updated. Keep sending your vibes. I really hope she pulls through!

Poor Fia and poor you :cry:
I so hope she can get better

xx

Im so sorry hun.its horrible when your baby is in the vets and there is nothing you can do but worry.Im really praying for Fia and a massive hug for you

Oh, I am hoping hard she gets well soon.

Everything crossed. I know what you are going through.

x

Thanks again guys. I am gonna get an early night as I'm so tired.

I put Zion to bed not so long ago and he looks so lost :( Bless him. He is still eating and he has a snugglesafe to sit on if he's cold so hopefully he will do that.

Just rang the vets and spoke to the nurse who was very nice and rather positive. She said she still isn't eating but she looks like she wants to. They have given her some more syringe feeds and she said she is taking those really well so she is obviously hungry. She has parsley, spring greens and carrot in there with her so hopefully she will start eating soon.

No poos yet which is a worry but the bunny savvy vet is there with her and the nurse sounded positive which made me feel better. I am so glad she is somewhere warm tonight cos it is absolutely freezing here.

Thanks again everyone. Will update again tomorrow.

Back