• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how do you shringe feed recovery?

angieb

Mama Doe
The vet gave bunny another injection and gave me some recovery to shringe feed.

He said make it into a paste and shringe feed it. I did and i couldnt get it in the shringe. so i ended up smearing it on the veg and she ate it. but the last piece she nibbled round it. so i tricked her and put another piece on top and she ate it but i'm worried she's gonna get wise to me?:oops::?

If you cant get it in to the syringe i would advise to add a little more water to make it a bit thinner.

I tried that but the little pieces are not so little at one point i was spoon feeding her.:roll::roll::lol::lol:

Erm. Are their pieces in it? I would mix it using luke warm water (boiled water cooled down) as this would help it dissolve easier. Then continue to add water until it was i thin paste. Hopefully someone will come along with more edvice :D

I reckon the vet said syringe feed expecting bunny not to eat. If she can eat for herself, even just off a spoon, that would be better than the stress and risks of syringe feeding, I would have thought?

I found that some of the syringe ends are too small. Just cut the end off - or go to the chemist and get a larger syringe. Even when it is a runny paste it still gets stuck every so often - with practice though I was a pro after a day of regular syringing!:D

my daughter has loads of different shringes but all the same fitting as she is tube fed. When i was spoon feeding her she wasnt enjoying it but thats when i tried smearing it on veg. if she carries on eating it this way then no problem but if i water it down loads there will be too much water to get down her. :?

I agree about cutting the end off the syringe to make it bigger. If you just cut it flush with the end then that makes a bit of an improvement. I don't think it matters if its made quite watery as the added fluid is normally beneficial anyway and something is better than nothing. However if you can get her to eat by herself then that is preferable :D

Back