• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Burst nose.Update gone to the bridge

Becca

Wise Old Thumper
Just been to see to my bunnies and Fudge looks like he has burst his nose.It is all bloody and he his breathing through his mouth.Rang emergency vet and she said it should stop bleeding soon which it has but is there nothing the vet can do????
Poor Fudge:cry:

Last edited:
Oh my word...

Id get him inside, get a good look, you should know from looking how bad. He will probs need painrelief and antibiotics.

I had Toffee, whos nose had been injured, they cant do much to the nose itself, but treated him just incase of infection etc

Had him inside and the bleeding has stopped,the out of hours vet was:censored::censored:.If he looks no better in 15 mins i will ring them back.

Is his nose cut? With Toffee, (this is going to be hard to explain) where the nose sits (e.g. attached to face) it had been cut away from face, if that makes any sense what so ever

It looks like he has spit the line bit of his nose if you know what i mean.Just been to see him and he ran away from me and is still breathing through his mouth.

Good god what a bloody useless Vet............:shock: :evil:

Can you see if he has an injury or if the bleeding is from inside his nasal passages ?

He def needs to be indoors and I'd pop him on a heatpad. I know a bit of blood can look a lot but if he has lost a significant amount he is at risk of going into shock.

Sending millions of vibes for him......and you !!

ETA- We posted at the same time. Do try to get him indoors. His nose may be blocked with blood hence the mouth-breathing.
Try and get him into a Pet carrier and allow him to calm down. But do get him near to a source of heat ASAP.

Then phone the Vet back and demand that he/she fulfils his/her duty of care to one of his/her clients

Last edited:
That sounds awful. If he is mouth breathing I would ring another vet asap for advice. I would be worried if he was having difficulty breathing through his nose. I hope he is ok.

Thanks for everyones help.Fudge is now on his way to the vets in bradford(OH taking him).Rang another vets and they put me through to the same bloody vets.She said you do know it is £102.25 to see him,i said i don,t give a :censored:how much it is he is not well:evil::evil:

Thanks for everyones help.Fudge is now on his way to the vets in bradford(OH taking him).Rang another vets and they put me through to the same bloody vets.She said you do know it is £102.25 to see him,i said i don,t give a :censored:how much it is he is not well:evil::evil:

well it is better to be safe than sorry. keep us updated! Hope everything is ok!

Back