• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flaky ears

Hello,

I was just sitting with my house bun Pie and noticed she's got dry looking flaky skin on the outside of her ears. Is this something that will need checking out by a vet or could it be due to the central heating? I worry they'll get itchy and she'll make them sore.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyway!

Thanks,

georgie

Hi Georgie
My rabbit has flaky dry skin on both her ears (outside) as well. She has had it for just about as long as I have had her nearly 3 years. I have tried lots of creams on it from the vets but nothing has worked. The vet just says its like dandruff in humans, its not any kind of skin disease or mites or anything. It doesn't seem to bother her and she never scratches them (her ears) or anything, she is an outside bun a REW lop. If anyone knows how I can get rid of it any suggestions welcome? I thought about trying baby oil but not sure if this is OK for rabbits?

Hello,

Thanks very much for your help, I thought it might be something along those lines!
It doesn't seem to be bothering her so I might just keep an eye on it for now before trying creams but will definitely bear them in mind if it gets worse.

Thanks again!

georgie

just as a precaution often bunnys get mites on their ears which need treatment by drops or ivermetican injection i would pop to your vet to rule this out too please(or buy the spot on £4 from pah to resolve it!)

just as a precaution often bunnys get mites on their ears which need treatment by drops or ivermetican injection i would pop to your vet to rule this out too please(or buy the spot on £4 from pah to resolve it!)

Thanks Bunlover, my bunny has been tested for mites and was negative so really is a mystery why she gets flaky/dandruff on the outside of both her ears.
geirgie-bun - maybe you could try as Bunlover suggests it might work for Pie? :wave:

Back