• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

paw bed inflammation?

Tahmis

Young Bun
Yesterday I noticed these bald areas in Helmi's paw beds and I had read about paw bed inflammation (I'm not sure what it's in english, I just translated it from finnish) and put some emulsioncream on them. Today they look better, but are still bald. I wanted to make sure that it's paw bed inflammation, because I can't get a vet time soon enough to get the right analysis from a vet.

Here are pics from her back feet:
100_1158.png
100_1160.png

It looks like she isn't hurting, because she lets me touch the bald areas and runs around the room as always. I've tried to add more soft beds to their cage and playing area, but Helmi also has some weight to loose so that might also be a reason she's having this inflammation. My rabbits don't have an unhygienic, dirty cage or playing area (you can see that from her paw beds, all clean) so that can't be a reason.

Last edited:
That looks like the 'normal' caloused area many Rabbits have on their hocks.
Just keep an eye on it to make sre it does not become very inflammed and that the skin does not break down.

Keeping your Buns weight down, her nails short and bed her on lots of soft hay will help reduce the risk of sore hocks developing.

At this stage I would not apply any more creams as you dont want the skin to become too soft. I find Aloe Vera gel is useful rather than an emulsifying cream as the AVG seems to hydrate the skin without softening it too much

:)

Oh, thank you!
Väiski doesn't have these caloused areas, so it must be Helmi's weight doing this. I need to keep an eye on her diet.

Back