• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi From Slovenia

Hello.
I come from Slovenia (i hope everyone knows where that is) and i simply love rabbits. I have at least 20 of them and all are very nice. I think thats nothing more enjoyable than having your pets just the way you like. I like feeding them, cleaning them and breeding them. Its a pure love to animals.
I am also looking forward to get some new knowledge here.

Hello there.

You may be wondering why no-one has posted on your intro yet. I thought I would just say that although everyone who has and cares for rabbits is welcome here, we are predominantly a group of people who are involved in rescuing domestic/companion rabbits. In the UK a very large proportion of rabbits in rescues are caused by people keeping un-neutered rabbits and having accidental litters or by deliberately breeding rabbits to sell, increasing the numbers of rabbits available with no good homes for them to go to.

As a result most (not all) of us are very anti-breeding.

Why do you breed? Is it for food, for income or to produce 'pedigree' rabbits?

I hope that by visiting here, you might understand why breeding is such a big issue in the UK, maybe it isn't such a cause for concern in Slovenia.

In the UK, there are over 35,000 registered unwanted rabbits in rescues, and that does not include the rabbits who sit in peoples gardens uncared for. So you see, I personally would like to see a stop to rabbit breeding for at least a year or two so that all existing rabbits can find a home before more are produced.

Helen:D

I am glad someone has put a post here, I thought about putting a post down yesterday but could not think how to write it..
But I do agree we are very wary of breeders here quite simply because we see so much irresponsible breeding, and the rescues have to pick up the pieces......

i want to say welcome to the forum :D

although there are alot of rescues on here breeders are also welcome this is a forum for all rabbit lovers breeders, rescues and normal rabbit owners :)

x

I think some people might find the link in your signature quite offensive with its references to breeding for meat and so on. You might want to remove that ;)

I have read the bit at the bottom about of your post
Rabbit Breeding information

and was dismayed to see a picture of a beautiful tan and white Holland Lop rabbit alongside advice on how to breed them for meat!!:cry:

Sue

Hi. Thanks to all who replied...
Firstly, i want to say i created this website because of marketing opportunities, and i really don't think of it as a offensive material.
It is just a good keyword, beeing searched a lot on the net.
And second, i have rabbits as pets only, and i don't breed them really. but i put website into my sig link, because i thought this information could be useful to someone.
Regards, and i really hope that we will get along here.
P.S.: In Slovenia we don't have a problem with excessive rabbits and no home rabbits.

Personally -I'm so glad you don't breed rabbits for meat:D-(or in fact at all) and that you were just trying to put some useful information on how to look after rabbits on here.:D

I'm sure there are losts of other info pieces you can find to put on your posts.-maybe one from rabbit rehome?:D-Sue

I don't quite know what you mean by "marketing opportunities" though?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused here :roll: Why did you say you were a breeder and also make a website about it? you say that you created this website because of marketing opportunities but then say you don't breed :? Thank god your not a meat breeder anyway ;) How old are you?

I think some people might find the link in your signature quite offensive with its references to breeding for meat and so on. You might want to remove that ;)

You still might want to remove that link. I am not quite sure what you mean by "marketing" either. Marketing what? Rabbit breeding?

Hello.
I come from Slovenia (i hope everyone knows where that is) and i simply love rabbits. I have at least 20 of them and all are very nice. I think thats nothing more enjoyable than having your pets just the way you like. I like feeding them, cleaning them and breeding them. Its a pure love to animals.
I am also looking forward to get some new knowledge here.

u say u like breeding them here???

im a bit confused by your posts too i think it might be that im misunderstanding or misinterpreting you but this is what i have read from it

you enjoy breeding rabbits as you dont feel there are any unwanted or non good homes for rabbits/neglected/rescue rabbit sin slovenia. you breed tehm for the pet trade but on your website added a bit about breeding them for meat as in your country it is normal and you have no issues with it? im surprised the country doesnt have an issue with abandoned rabbits or neglect s even here where we have resceus we have a major porblem...ie rabbits being kept in under 6ftx3ftx2ft hutches, not being let out for a minimum or 3 hours run time.. not neutereing females, mis sexing, children getting bored, people not vaccinating, feeding mix rather than pellets and not a 80% hay diet therefore leading to teeth problems and other health issues, it just surprises me that none of these issues affect your country is it because most people keep them for meat and not pets?

Last edited:
Thanks for all this responses and information.
I will say once more that i really didn't know about this issue in your country.
In Slovenia this isn't a problem at all, i mean many people have rabbits, but i don't know of any unwanted rabbits, cause people eat them regulary. It's a way of living here...

Thanks for all this responses and information.
I will say once more that i really didn't know about this issue in your country.
In Slovenia this isn't a problem at all, i mean many people have rabbits, but i don't know of any unwanted rabbits, cause people eat them regulary. It's a way of living here...

thats a shame you think that iv found this site form your own country with rabbits needing homes
http://rabbit.rescueme.org/si apparently it is a problem there too...

i think possibly removing the link would help you here on ths website the people here do not breed in general they rescue, and if you breed in the uk then you need to be aware of the problems that occour. also any breeders on here are generally responsible ie rabbits have no more than 3 litters per year, and are speyed and retired going to pet homes or live with breeder as pets after around age 3 to live out lives until up to 14 years. they ensure the rabbits can be traced back through genetics at least 4 generations (to better the breed and try to elinminate common health problems with breeds) and they give tehm the minimum accomodation reccomended by the animal welfare act(or larger) a 6x3x2ft htuch attatched to a 6x5ft run. for every pair of rabbits. they will ensure thier rabbtis are vaccinated against vhd and myxi too. i hope that you can enjoy your rabbits as pets and not use them to make money(sorry if misinterrpreted) and can possibly help out a rescue in your own country now you are aware of the problems
ps also if a rabbit cannot be looked after any longer in this country we try and rehome eating a pet is not a thoght that anyone on here would concieve. x

Last edited:
Eating them :censored:

It may be a way of living out there.
But i suggest that you dont post that kind of thing on a site for bunny lovers.

You will only get bad responses.
Over here it is not an everyday thing. And certainly no one from this site eats rabbit.

I think you should be very wary of selling your rabbits as pets if people in your country normally view them as meat.-Sue

Maybe you could find Slovenian pet sites to sell your rabbits where people are more likely(hopefully) to look after them as pets.

I have got a translation from Slovenian to English on this site which might be useful?

this is a pet rabbit forum in Slovenian
http://kunci.mojforum.si/kunci-about580.html

I do hope you will stay on this site (but perhaps take off the sig on Rabbit Information as some members may find it offensive?) as it is important for all rabbit owners to have accesss to sites like this where they can get good advice on various aspects of rabbit care-especially health issues.
There are some rabbit breeders on here and you would probably benefit from contacting them.-Sue

Last edited:
Back