• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Sore Hocks very dangerous?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Can it mean that your rabbit gets pts if it get infected? I've been reading about sore hocks on the internet, and they tell you to get rid of the source of the problem, but I can't find the source, so can't make Molly better. :cry:

Sore Hocks can be a :censored: to control but it is possible.
Out of all the Rexes I have ever had (38 in total) I have lost 1 to Sore Hocks.
She got an infection in the tendon/bone which failed to respond to abx. She had the leg amputated but sadly the infection had already spread into her thigh bone. There was nothing more we could do and I had to let her go :cry:

I have since taken in Rexes with horendous ulcerated and infected hocks. Thankfully they have all responded to longterm treatment :)

So to answer you question 'Yes' sore hocks are potentially a life shortening condition but it is not inevitable. I will try and find some pics of Lady Lydia's Hocks before and after treatment.
Also, Miss Bunny Penny, who is now about 8, developed sore hocks before she was 1 year old. Whilst the skin healed the fur has never regrown. However, she has had no more episodes of infection/ulceration/pain since the very first one all those years ago.

:)

I don't think Molly's in any pain as you can press it and she doesn't flinch. I'll try and get some photos today of it.

As Jane has said, infection is the biggest worry, but there is also the chance that the tendon in the hock can become misplaced, which can make it impossible for the rabbit to hop normally :(

Back