• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tumour prognosis

pickles

Warren Scout
I was just wondering... how long is a bunny likely to survive with a tumour?
I know everyone is different. But weeks, months?

Do they tend to have to be pts in the end? Or can they just pass naturally?

I'm just trying to prepare myself... :(

It depends mostly on where the tumour is and how fast it grows. If the tumour is on the head then it causes a lot more problems than one on a leg.

If the vets cannot operate to save their life then I believe it it usual to PTS before the pain gets too much :(

Hope it's not your bun you are asking about, if it is I'm sorry to hear that. The vets should be honest if you want them to be :cry:

Thanks for the info. Yeah it's on his face but I am unsure at the moment if it is a tumour. I just wanted to kinda get all my facts straight in my head first

I have experience of this recently.
Bobby had a jaw abcess - tooth root to be precise. He lived for a good year after the abcess was found and didn't find the treatment (empyting the abcess every now and again) too invasive. He did lose a lot of weight and was unable to eat properly towards the end though. He did die naturally, but at just about the time when I would have had to have made a decision about PTS.
Ruby had bone cancer, which we only discovered when she broke her leg very easily. As she was losing weight, we suspected the cancer had spread. She was in pain and her condition would only have deteriorated so we decided to PTS.
Each bunny and condition is different though, so have a good chat with your vet - I note on your other thread that you're going to see a different one, so hope they are helpful - and other people on here will be able to give you their experiences too.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Aww bless him, I hope it's not a tumour and if it is that you have caught it in time and the vets can operate and he goes on to live a happy long life.

Good luck

I had a 7 year old lop, Pippa, who died with multiple tumours last January. She had them all around her dewlap, chest and sides and they were deemed inorperable becasue it would require at least a two stage procedure and she was an old girl.

She had these tumours when I took her in and lived for 8 months with them (I don't know how long she had them prior to this), she died peacefully in her sleep but her health had begun to decline before then with obvious signs of liver failure.

We are not 100% sure if the tumours had spread to her liver or if it was EC that got to her, as her partner died several months later also from liver failure.

It depends what the tumour is, whether it's cancerous or not.

When my bunny Sunny had a tumour removed from his throat, it turned out to be a very aggressive cancer. The tumour returned shortly after and within 2 months of the original tumour, Sunny had passed away. He was fine for the most part of those 2 months and only went downhill very quickly within the last 2 days or so. When he stopped eating and was obviously in pain, I wanted to take him to PTS, but he had other ideas and died just as I was about to call the vet. :(

I hope that your bunny's lump is nothing so serious and hope he has got lots more time left with you. :)

Vera

Back