• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hopper Haven's 2008

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
2008 was a hectic year for Hopper Haven. At one point we had 175 rabbits here and 91 guinea pigs:shock:

There has been little time for anything except rabbits and guinea pigs in my life. But there is nothing I would rather be doing than helping these so often abused creatures live the lives they deserve.

Hopper Haven was home to 280 individual rabbits and 165 guinea pigs during the year. So we accomodated a total of 445 animals and helped a large number of others find companions, or with advice.

We found homes for 112 rabbits and 79 guinea pigs. This is two rabbit homes up on 2007, but a substantially reduced number of guinea pigs rehomed. Partly I think this was because there are more places rescuing guinea pigs, which is excellent, and partly because we started the year with fewer as we rehomed so many in 2007.

We again expanded our accomodation thanks to a generous donation, adding ten new extra large hutches, many with runs under. We built 5 new runs of roughly 3m by 2m, and have been able to stop using the smaller more awkward to clean older hutches and runs. Hopefully this time next year every hutch outside will have its own run. As it is only 5 are in use that don't have them already.

We ended the year with 150 rabbits in our care, as well as 59 guinea pigs.

Many thanks are due to our supporters and volunteers who have made all this possible. Hopefully together we will carry on and help as many animals in 2009.

Last edited:
:shock: :shock: At your figures.

I adore places like you, your amazing, the work you do is unbelieveable.

Lets hope this year will up last years figures and more Rabbits and Guinea Pigs find there forever homes :D

That is fantastic - people like yourselves that run bunny & GP rescues are a godsend to these poor unfortunate animals. Hope you have a very good & successful 2009 xxx

Wow - what an achievement! I'd just like to say 'thank you' for helping the animals who can't help themselves.

Well done Lou - I really don't know how you keep on going!!!

I love Hopper Haven and I've been volunteering there for around 2 years - 6 of my rabbits are former residents:D

If there are any peps out there looking for something satisfying to do in the new year, save your membership money from joining a gym and come along and help us to keep improving the environment for all the furry residents by building new enclosures and improving those we have - plenty of opportunity for some hard graft:lol::lol:

If there are any peps out there looking for something satisfying to do in the new year, save your membership money from joining a gym and come along and help us to keep improving the environment for all the furry residents by building new enclosures and improving those we have - plenty of opportunity for some hard graft:lol::lol:

Just a bit too far:(

Well done Louise, Cardamon and Valencia send you bunny kisses:D

Well done Lou - I really don't know how you keep on going!!!

I love Hopper Haven and I've been volunteering there for around 2 years - 6 of my rabbits are former residents:D

id really love to but i dont drive and the train/bus journey takes forever :(

Well done Louise - I know figures are not the be all and end all but seeing them put together at the end of the year must definately help make it all the more worth while. :D You and your team are doing a great job.x

:shock::shock::shock::shock:
So many buns and piggies! you guys really do amaze me with your hard work and dedication. *salutes you all*
Good luck this year!

Thanks everyone:D

I forgot ourother statistic though, we also took in a wolf:shock: He was hopping at the time as he had been hit by a car, actually right outside the rescue. He was taken to our vets crossing the county border in the process so the dog wardens were arguing about whose responsibility he was, at first it was thought he needed thousands of pounds worth of treatment so his owners signed him over to the vets once they were tracked down, none of the dog rescues in the area would take him and he was half an hour from being pts so when the vet nurses called me in desperation I, with the agreement of another trustee, took him on.

We think he is an Inuit, a husky crossed with a German Shepard. He is gorgeous but not exactly the ideal inmate of a rabbit sanctuary:roll: He is getting better with the rabbits. He loves to watch me bath piggies and when he sneakily followed me into the conservatory the other night where Snowdon and Tilly are living on the floor he stood stock still while Snowdon sniffed his knees. I wouldn't have thought that possible when he first arrived. But he is an intelligent dog and after one scary incident when I really shouted at him he knows rabbits are off limits. He no longer even goes after wild ones when I'm around, he just sighs and looks at me:lol: If a cat crosses his path though I can hardly hold him, or a squirrel. By next summer I hope he will be able to be outside without a lead. I've been meaing to post about him for months......

Back