• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

small animal show

mich

Young Bun
Have seen an advert for the excel small animal show in harrogate in January and wondered what everyones opinion was on shows? And has anyone been?

Id love to show my french lop, But due to his dislike of being picked up... I dont think its all THAT possible...
But i think shows can be a healthy and interesting way of exhibiting your animal... Its when people take it too serious, things can become a little cruel..But overall, Im kinda all for showing :)

I went last year and it was the first such event I had been to, although I have been going to rat shows for a while.

I did not like it to be honest. It is run by and for breeders and follows their standards and needs not those of pet owners or rescues. There were wall upon wall of rabbits in small pens with people wandering round looking in at them. Same with the GP's.

There were a couple of interesting stalls though selling things lite dust free hay and all manner of bunny gifts, so the shopping is good!

I went last year as I have shown my guinea pigs but not at the Harrogate Show.

I personally think that the guinea pig side is much nicer. I just feel sorry for the bunnies. Pigs are quite happy sitting for a while just eating (it is their life!) but the buns hate being caged up for so long :(

I am going this year but I have never been to a show before so dont know what to expect. :roll: I am really going for the shopping to be honest!!!!

We went last year and are going again this year, but we are not going to look at the show rabbits, it upset me too much last year seeing them cooped up in the tiniest of cages hardly able to move. One Frenchie couldn't even lay down in it's cage let alone spread it's ears out.
We are going purely for the shopping with some of our suppliers as they offer better deals at the show;)

I went last year and it was the first such event I had been to, although I have been going to rat shows for a while.
There were a couple of interesting stalls though selling things lite dust free hay and all manner of bunny gifts, so the shopping is good!

Hi, I will be attending with the internet shop LIVE.....:shock::)
if that makes sense......will also be showing 8 bunnies, the size of the show pens vary depending on the size of the bunnies with the French Lops and Giants being in double pens that are 2ft high. more info at http://www.bradfordexcelshow.co.uk/
:p:wave::wave:

I'd love to go to a nice rabbit show with Charlie but he'd never be up to a breeders standard :roll:

You never know though. All my animals are rescues and so are of dubious heritage but imagine my surprise when I entered 2 of my girls in pet class and was told that had I entered them in the Show proper they probably have won rosettes! Ahhh well, one of them won the agility competition :p

i went a couple of years back and i didnt like it. aside from the size of they tiny pens i really didnt like the way some of the judges handled the rabbits

if anyone pulled my bunnies around like that i would swing for them

Back