• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop water bottles freezing....

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Tried and Tested, has worked 2 nights in a row!

You Will Need, Jiffy Bag, Scisscors, Material, Thick Selotape, the strongest u have! Or string

Step one: Get an old Jiffy bag that has bubble wrap inside

Step Two: Cut open the jiffy bag so it is just a sheet of bubblewrapped paper

Step Three: Cut the jiffy bag to the correct size against your bottle (varied for differenty sized bags and bottles of course! i barely needed to cut mine!)

Step Four: cut some material (any, thicker the better) to the same size as your Jiffy Bag

Step Five: Selotape your material to the cut jiffy bag

Step Six: Wrap the jiffybag around the bottle, and secure usuing either selotape, or string. Do at the top and bottom, not the middle, easier to slide on and off that way!

Voila!!

Will make one tomorrow and take piccies to add to step by step!

I used bubble wrap on my bottles last winter and it is really good. The only bit that sometimes did freeze was the metal spout which pokes into the hutch. The ball bearing in it would sometimes freeze shut. There is nothing you can do about this.

I also found that if I put a large sheet of bubble wrap over the hutch at night and hung it over the front, it stopped the water freezing and kept off rain and snow.

Going to go and try this now :D Have defrosted water bottles twice already today :(

We even have some insulated bottles, which dont even work :shock:

Have plenty of Jiffy bags so... off i go to cut em all up :lol: xxx

I have used bubble wrap and socks. Am stepping it up a gear tonight by also using the foil insulation under the sock too. It's not stopping the ball bearing freezing to the spout but can but try.:D

Tried and Tested, has worked 2 nights in a row!

You Will Need, Jiffy Bag, Scisscors, Material, Thick Selotape, the strongest u have! Or string

Step one: Get an old Jiffy bag that has bubble wrap inside

Step Two: Cut open the jiffy bag so it is just a sheet of bubblewrapped paper

Step Three: Cut the jiffy bag to the correct size against your bottle (varied for differenty sized bags and bottles of course! i barely needed to cut mine!)

Step Four: cut some material (any, thicker the better) to the same size as your Jiffy Bag

Step Five: Selotape your material to the cut jiffy bag

Step Six: Wrap the jiffybag around the bottle, and secure usuing either selotape, or string. Do at the top and bottom, not the middle, easier to slide on and off that way!

Voila!!

Will make one tomorrow and take piccies to add to step by step!

I think Blue Peter are missing a really good presenter;):D:lol::lol:

I must be doing something wrong because I havn't had to defrost a single bottle yet and the only covering they have is the hutch covers. Is everyone really having such a tough time? :shock:

I must be doing something wrong because I havn't had to defrost a single bottle yet and the only covering they have is the hutch covers. Is everyone really having such a tough time? :shock:

The bottles here have been freezing within 2 hours and for the first time ever all the bottles in the sheds had frozen yesterday. It really has been unusually harsh here.

I've been out with the bubble wrap, cellotape and old furry purple socks tonight. When I went out with them the buns looked at me like I was crazy! :lol:

Back