• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit breeders would you use?

Watership_Down

Warren Scout
I just wanted to know when you choose a rabbit do you pick them because of the way they look? did you get them from breeders. Or would you take on any rabbit?
I recently adopted a rabbit my husbands friend couldnt take care of him and wanted to get rid of him so my husband brought him home ( he's a sensitive soul is my husband lol). So I had no idea what he looked liked.
This is our first rabbit and we would definately get more and now I know more about breeds.
What are your views on breeders?

All our rabbits are rescues and I have to admit to originally choosing them because they looked nice but now we like to take on rabbits and guinea pigs that have been waiting ages for a home or who are elderly.

We have also taken rabbits without having seen them first.

I personally would never get a bunny or guinea from a breeder...there are FAR too many that need homes.

There are reputable breeders out there but im against breeding so would always choose a rescue rabbit :wave:

If there is a particular type/breed of bun you want im sure you will find one in rescue as they have all sorts of gorgeous buns left with them! :D

Our rabbits choose each other. I started with Casey who choose me by escaping his owner into my garden - the owner didn't want him. Casey choose Phoebe. Phoebe and Casey choose Laura and Kirsty. All are rescue.

My four are all rescues as well, I picked Piglet & Eeyore cos they were babies & looked cute but with Rubix & Sophie I went for them because Rubix had had four homes in 3 years and had been messed around his whole life so I wanted to give him a fresh start. I'd never get any animal from a breeder either, there are so many who are desperate for homes.

I've never brought from a breeder but did get my first two rabbits as an adult from pet shops because I 'thought they looked sweet', the third I got from a pet shop because he was being attacked by his brother and his ear was ripped open :cry:.

All my other since then have been rescues and though I do like the breeds of my other three current rabbits, I do tend to go for those with health issues or disabilites that mean other people wouldn't look twice at them.

I would never get a rabbit from anywhere other than a rescue again. :)

No I don't pick them based on their looks :) Buu I got from a garden center, and we picked her because she was being pushed around in a trolly by a child and they weren't even going to buy her. Trip I agreed to take not knowing what he looked like. Scarlett I was told was white but I said I would take her before finding out which breed because they didn't know what breed she was to tell me. And Beau I took because he was thinner than the other rabbits there and the rescue told me he has the most amazing personality, which he does :love:

I wouldn't get a rabbit from a pet shop/garden center again and would never go to a breeder. Im not sure I will take in other people's rabbits again like I did with Trip and Scarlett either when the rabbit isn't in direct danger :? I feel like I did more harm than good by just taking them like that and just reinforced the idea that they are easy to pass around and get rid of, Scarlett had only been with these people a week and they got bored and found her a new home here within a day :roll: Any future buns will be from the animal shelter

No I don't pick them based on their looks :) Buu I got from a garden center, and we picked her because she was being pushed around in a trolly by a child and they weren't even going to buy her.

:shock::shock::shock: Thats awful! :(

i got my first rabbit from some one who didnt want her anymore :(

my latest 2 are from a breeder as i want a specific breed that dont often come up in rescues and i was that heartbroken over the loss of april i must admit i didnt think about it that much just found them so got them

i was looking in the freeads for a bunny... ste didnt like the look of lionheads so we decided on a lop (i didnt care i just wanted my first bunny). there was a place called rabbits kingdom who were a sanctuary in cannock with babies for sale.... from the pics i wanted the white splogdy one and ste wanted the black one.... soon as i saw alvin he was ours :love::love::love::love:

Alvin chose pearl with the help from Lou at hopper haven :love:

ive never been drawn to breeders for any animal, i dont see why i should pay over the odds for an animal when theres so many non-breeds at a fraction of the cost.....

our dogs have been mongrels from accidental breedings etc... my cat came from a cat sanctuary and my chippies from a petshop..

I guess I got Hayden and Dudley because of their looks. I got them from a rescue. I looked at nearly all rabbits on rabbit rehome and read what had been written about them all but I came across Hayden and Dudley and said they are my bunnies, I just got the feeling. My first rabbit when I was young was bought from a petshop but was ill. My second was from a good breeder but as soon as I got my 'own' I looked straight in to rescues!

My girls were from an accidental litter from someone my mum knew who was mistreating them - no hay, picked up by ears :shock:, tiny cage, no run etc etc it was amazing to watch the first time I let them out in their run. I must admit I got Dutchie because he looked so lovely and he matched the girls size colour and age wise but I would only ever get a rescue bun

Over the years all of our pets; cats, bunnies & piggies have always been rescues, or rehomes from other people. Apart from our two latest additions to the family who we got from breeders. :)

My OH picked Harriet because of her picture on ARCs site, so I guess it was based on looks. I picked Riley to go with her because he let me hold him (that was a one off I found out :roll:)

I didn't pick Truffle or Pickle, they were unwanted on Freecycle and I would have had them whatever they looked like :) it was a wonderful surpise when I saw them for the first time though as they are both beautiful :love:

I have 6 rabbits, only one is a pet shop bunnies and she was my first. I think you just know if the bunny is right for you... aesthetics don't come into it!

I wouldn't go to a breeder. There are far too many rabbits lookng for homes. If you want a specific breed they do come up at rescues all of the time, not neccessarily right on your door step, but you can get any specific breed of rabbits from a rescue at some point! My local rescue has had everything from continental giants, french lops, lionheads, nethies etc etc...

If you are willing to look hard and wait there is no need to use a breeder.

Charlie was from a pet shop, he was my first bun and tbh I just didn't think. I'd always rather have rescues now, but of course I wouldn't change Charlie for the world :love:
Our cats have always been rescues, but my cockatiel was from a breeder.

Dont shoot me down but I got Star & Bugs from the pre-loved website as babies. Me, Hubby & son went to the persons house and David choose them because he liked them.

In future, after being on this board, I would go to a rescue however at the time when we bought Bugs & Star I didn't really know any different.

Back