• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Speying in the winter!

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
Hi, I have four bunnies (below) bonded but Poppy is the only unspayed one and is just about old enough now so will be going to have the op. However just wondering , if she is at the vet for the day, she will need to be kept inside overnight (or maybe 2 nights?) So does that mean she won't be able to go back outside?
Also will the other 3 have forgotten she is their friend after 24/48 hours?
Any advice welcome!
Thankyou!

I would personally wait until it gets warmer now, because she will have to be kept inside for a few days and I wouldn't bring any of mine in for a few days to be putting them back out in this cold :) I kept mine in for three nights each when they were done :)

Ask your vet can they go in with her? I don't know how people usually do it with larger groups but Trip was able to go in with Scarlett when she was spayed. If they can't all go in im not sure what I would do really. Although a couple of days after Scarlett's spay Trip was chasing her and she was running around more that I liked so I separated them for about five days. I had no problems rebonding them but I am not sure if it would be as easy with four bunnies x

Mine were spayed last December, although it wasn't as cold as this. It was about 15C outside, so I was able to bring them in for a week, and then put them out again without too much problem.

plus you have to think if things go wrong. Sophie nibbled her stitches out so had to be taken back for staples. She is already a house rabbit, but I dread to think what would have happened if she was an out doors bun. I think you would be better leaving it until the weather warms up.

I had Autumn done the month before. She was newly bonded and went back outside with him after three days and they where just happy to be back together. It may be different with a group

Sorry to squeeze myself into this conversation :oops: but does it matter if you spay during the winter if your bun lives indoor? Again, sorry to butt in!!

yeh I've had a stitch chewer before..so I take that on board.
Basically I wanted to get her done as soon as possible becasue I am worried that as she sexually matures she might become feisty and perhaps start to fight with Tinks as Tinks is very much in charge of the group. Is this likely to happen?
I just want to do whats best for them all, and trry to keep the group as happy as they are at the moment!

Has anybody ever had a an unspeyed female in a group who started to fight as they sexually matured?

Oh just to add, i doubt they would be able to all go to the vets, Billy is a giant French lop so i cant see them having the room. I'm considering sending tinks with poppy and living Billy with Daisy...as Tinks is the one i see most likely to cause a problem?

eeekk..i just dont know!

one of my rabbits needs speying but im waiting till about march/ april time i dont thing that it will cause a problem as she hasnt changed in her personality from when she was a baby shes 7 months now, so fingers crossed she will be ok till then, my other rabbit was speyed when she was 5 months as her hormones kicked in then!lol

Back