• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

infection in mouth of vagina - swollen

Ocelot

Young Bun
Hello, My bunny often gets a messy bottom so I check her regularly. Today when I checked her she had poo stuck over her anus completely blocking it. I cleaned her up and she had a little diaorhea and a few normal pellet stools inside that came out. But the thing that worried me most was the vagina area is swollen and when I move it a bit it is very red and raw inside. I have washed the area in camomile and salt water. I had some metacam and fuciderm gel left over from previous illnesses and have given her this to help with the swelling, pain and infection. These drugs may not be of any use, however; they are within use by date, but they have not been used for a while. I also gave her probiotics as she is off her food today.

I am hoping the swelling will go down so if I see signs of improvement tomorrow, I will not worry so much. I think this has happened before, actually, but maybe not this bad. That time, it healed by itself.

What do you think? Any advice? I would rather not go to the emergency vet tomorrow, as I am already in debt. And I like her own vet who I will be able to see at 6.30PM on Monday. (Last time I took her to the emergency vet he wanted to put her down but me and her usual vet had more faith and time for her and she pulled through fine, so I'm loath to spend loads of money on someone who doesn't do any better than me)

Any advice? How serious is this? I do not want to wait if it is risking her life. How will I know if it is getting worse?

Last edited:
effie doing better

She is vaccinated and speyed. She is doing a lot better. The swelling has gone down and she is eating again. I am takgin her to her vets now, so will let you know.
Thanks,
Jo

Effie is better!

The vet said she was looking good down there. That I had done his job for him and that he was going to pretend he hadn't seen me!
So having that tube of fuciderm handy, really helped Effie heal quickly and saved me a lot of money! My vet did not think antibiotics were necessary as he would rather avoid using them whenever possible and it was looking healthy again. He described it as nappy rash, but, seriously it was so red and raw and she was in pain. So i'm glad I also had the metacam handy.
Thanks for you support!
Jo

my rabbit has the same problem-her vulva is swollen. we are snowed in and i cannot get to the vets nor can anyone get here so what do you think i should do? she was mated 17 days ago and again 9 days ago and has been acting as though she is in kindle. she is a dwarf lop doe. she has not been vaccinated.she is 18 months old. thanks

my rabbit has the same problem-her vulva is swollen. we are snowed in and i cannot get to the vets nor can anyone get here so what do you think i should do? she was mated 17 days ago and again 9 days ago and has been acting as though she is in kindle. she is a dwarf lop doe. she has not been vaccinated.she is 18 months old. thanks

You need to make your own thread for this, more people will reply then.

If you are breeding her surely she should be vaccinated? Bunnies need Myxo Jabs twice a year and VHD Jabs once yearly. I would personally take her to the vets, as it could be serious :( Or at least speak to your vet on the phone. Hope she imrproves soon xXx

Back