• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Raising awareness - what can we do?

ok realistically, what can 'we' as individuals do to raise awareness of what caring for a rabbit actually entails, and at the same time promoting rescues rather than breeders/shops.

im genuinely wanting to do something positive to help but feel like such a small fish in a big ocean.
i see all these rescues, of all breeds of animals, filling up and having to shut doors due to the volume of animals. its heartbreaking and i wish there was something productive i could do to help.

i would love to offer homes or even foster homes, but heathwise and timewise i have very little, at least for the time being. i would love to physically help out at a rescue, but again due to health and having four young children im limited.

i thought about the 'make mine chocolate' campaign, and thought of trying to bring this up at my childrens schools (my twins go to two different schools) but dont have a clue where to start, and im sure im not as clued up on all the information i would need.

There must be some way that i can help to make a difference other than with money (though i hope to be sending some donations to some owed promises, in the next few weeks when we get our money!)

the RWF have leaflets they can send you so you can hand them out, there supporting make mine chocolate so prob have leaflets on that too:)

just had a quick look as im going out soon but it looks good clearly laid out, your black and white bun looks like my bun i lost a year ago there both gorgeous! cant understand people not reading up i got a tortoise a couple of years ago you should see the stuff ive got about them! always looking for new stuff to read on all my pets.:)

:wave: Could you do something similar to what Helens organising i.e. an awareness day at a local community centre (which can be quite cheap to rent and you could fundraise on the day to recoup costs).
Helens is being held at the beginning of Rabbit Awareness week and has the involvement of the local bunny savvy Vet.

p.m. The Duchess if you want more info.

I 2nd the rabbit rehome posters in your local vets..and maybe some petshops..those that don't sell bunnies.
Write an article about rabbit ownership for your local community mag

Lionhead - your website is great, I have added it to my Facebook.

I would love to get involved as well, dont have time/money to rehouse buns but I do get distressed about the amount of buns abandoned.

I made a leaflet up for another rabbit forum and if I see people buying rabbit supplies I just mention it to them (or give them one if I have them), or just point them in the direction of help. Maybe someone could make up a leaflet for this forum/site and then anyone who wants to help out could give that to anyone they see buying rabbit stuff, or looking at/buying rabbits.

Back