• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

just noticed bunnys eyes look watery

twinkle4041

Young Bun
Here i go again, get rid of one illness another one appears!
Just cleaning bunny out and one of her eyes looks watery, shes just had her burrs on her teeth done, but i noticed around her fur it looks a bit mattted,
is there anything i can do to help her or do you think its another trip to the vets?
thanks!!
:(

Last edited:
What colour is the discharge? Clear? White?

It could be anthing like a piece of hair or hay caught in it, or it could be something more serious (like an infection, etc).

You can try bathing the eye with cooled boiled water to see if you can get anything out, or if that helps. If that doesn't hlep then yep, off to the vets. It could be conjunctivits in which case there are some antibiotics that can be given (I went through this with two of mine recently), or it could be something dental, or a blocked tear duct or something, but hopefully it is nothing major, and is something that can be sorted at home.

When did she have her teeth done? If it was in the last day or so, it might just be the effects of having a GA....sometimes the eyes are not as well lubricated as they should be whilst under GA.

If it has been longer, then it will probably be her teeth. Did the vet mention that she may have elongated tooth roots?

Back