• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think someone up 'there' is trying to tell me something. UD: Baffled!

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
*huge sigh*

Like maybe I should give up owning rabbits. :(

As you probably know from all my whinging I've been in bed for the past four days with one of these stinking viruses and as such Phil hs been caring for the 4 outside bunnies for me. Today I have been out and fed, watered and mucked out and also given them a check over.

Marley, my little Dutch, has lost a significant amount of weight and the pelvis, spine, muscle combo looks suspiciously like my other EC bunnies with renal failure did :cry::cry:. I have known I have an EC problem in my bunnies and they are all wormed regularly....as such the trio are now back on a long course of Panacur.

I do, however, have a predicament. Within the trio it is a constant battle between the two boys and Scout for food as she is bigger than them and super gutsy....since her spey she has always been a little on the tubby side. My plan in the spring was to oust Fiver from the group to be bonded with Juno as he is the 'outsider' in the three and this would also help to resolve the food ration issue. Now I am feeling Marley should be inside with me where I can monitor him properly, especially his drinking and urinating (he was the first attached to the bottle when I filled it up this morning). This means I may not be able to rebond him with Scout & Fiver should he improve or that I may not be able to get him bonded to Juno should I keep him apart and he be OK (Fiver has never turned a bonded partner down).

I cannot have any more bunnies for the time being and I am very worried about ending up with two many single bunsters which cannot be bonded in together. It is looking like I will probably have more girls than boys if the worst happens and the only one I am happy to have alone is Lexie.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions? I'm feeling so drained I just don't know what to do for the best.

Last edited:
This is when I wish we could draw diagrams on RU!
So you have 2 groups?
1 outside and 1 inside?

Please don't feel down - you must be doing a fantastic job to be thinking so in-depth about what to do, plus you gave me lots of advice last night about runny poops :D and calmed me down! :lol::D

I'm slightly confused too but one thing I do know is that I never think well or rationally when I am tired / fed up / ill and plus there are a few future ???s there so maybe now is not the time to make decisions but when you're well and you know what's going on with Marley?

Hi Sooz,
I know its good to think ahead but you have been through a lot with not being well ect, so please try just to relax and concentrate on getting your buns better, dont think the worst, i know its hard as im in the same situation just now with EC.. Im sorry im not much help but stay strong, heres a big hug to you and i am praying for your buns full recovery xx

I have a trio which lives outside and consists of Fiver, Marley & Scout
I have a single indoor doe Juno who I was going to bond with Fiver from the trio in the spring

I also have a indoor pair, Lexie & Mack, who are both poorly but not part of the above equation at this time.

The fourth outside bunny is my foster bun and again not part of the equation.

Basically do I take Marley out of the trio for his health and risk ending up with him alone and then Juno also alone or do I try to help him whilst leaving him with his friends? I cannot accomodate them all inside so that bringing them in isn't a viable solution.

I think you firstly need to get yourself and Marley better.
Could Marley have lost weight because it has been so cold.

I have had a pair of buns seperated for over a week and put them back together with no problems at all, in fact they were so happy to see each other it was heartwarming!

Maybe other posters are right and you should leave off thinking about this until you feel better, and you see how Marley gets on/you know what's happening?

Do you think Marley and Juno have compatible personalities?

Maybe other posters are right and you should leave off thinking about this until you feel better, and you see how Marley gets on/you know what's happening?

Do you think Marley and Juno have compatible personalities?

I think Fiver & Juno would be more compatible and Marley & Scout have a better bond than Fiver & Scout do.

I don't think the cold is helping but it wouldn't cause weight loss like he has had so rapidly, also the litter trays and paper in the hutch was saturated so somebun seems to have urination problems and I would put my money on it being Marley.

I'll have a think overnight but really his wellbeing needs to come first, if I do lose him I will have just as many problems as if the bonds break :(. I think it's a stark reminder about just how difficult it can be to juggle a multi-rabbit household adequately.

I have a double appointment at the vets Monday so will see what they think then, I'm going to have a good look at his teeth in a bit too, as soon as I can find the otoscope :?.

Could you bond Juno and Fiver now (once you are better), therefore hoping that Marley will be able to eat better with just Scout to contend with at feeding times? (Sorry if I have suggested something that isn't possible). Get well soon hun, and try not to worry too much xxx

Could you bond Juno and Fiver now (once you are better), therefore hoping that Marley will be able to eat better with just Scout to contend with at feeding times? (Sorry if I have suggested something that isn't possible). Get well soon hun, and try not to worry too much xxx

Thanks Gaynor :love:

I am pondering this option too, the only doubt I have is that Juno isn't speyed. Fiver has been neutered for years and I have never seen him mount or showing any hormonal behaviour but it's how she will react to him as her hormones are starting to show now.

I was going to have her neutered next month but could speak to Anita about bringing it forward if she thinks she is well enough.

I think that's a good idea, bonding Juno and Fiver earlier if possible. That way you won't have that to worry about. Maybe then Marley will have an easier time of getting better, not being in a trio.

Good luck Sooz, and I hope you're feeling better soon :D

It would depend on how Fiver was, personality wise. I bonded Charlie (neutered) and Autumn (unneutered) due to space problems. Charlie is the most docile bunny ive ever met and just put up with her constant humping for the 5 weeks it took to let her settle and save money for her spay. When they went back together, she was a different bunny (within the space of 10days) no humping at all.

Only you can make the decision, you know your own rabbits.

But before you make any major decisions, you need to get yourself better.

Fiver is a diamond, he has never turned on another rabbit in his life and never mounts or chases but he is often the brunt of other bunnies aggression....his first partner ripped his poor little ears to shreds.

As Juno is so skittish I felt his laid back nature would be better suited to her wild personality than my more michevious Marley.

I'm really feeling that this would be the best way to progress with the situation so I may try to start bonding early next week.

As far as me being ill goes, apart from getting on with it, there is little else I can do now but let it run it's course. I'm sure I'll be back to normal shortly...I just need to put some weight back on as I had three comments at work about it tonight :roll:.

you can keep Lexie company by yourself. For e.g., put her next to you on the sofa when you watch TV. I used to have just 1 bun and that's what I did to keep them company

you can keep Lexie company by yourself. For e.g., put her next to you on the sofa when you watch TV. I used to have just 1 bun and that's what I did to keep them company

I would be happy to have Lexie as a lone bunny again if the need arose as she is very good in the house but she is happily bonded at the moment to Mack (though his health is in the balance at the moment).

My main concern at the moment is what to do with the other four bunnies....the 'plan' pre-EC scare was to end up with 3 male:female pairs.

Ok, right I have tried to understand - sorry if I'm wrong but what about bringing Marley in and bonding with Juno ? Then you can keep a closer eye on him??

Ok, right I have tried to understand - sorry if I'm wrong but what about bringing Marley in and bonding with Juno ? Then you can keep a closer eye on him??

It is an option I am considering but my worry is:
1. Juno is a wildie and highly strung, she gets easily stressed and he can be a bit of a handful.
2. If he does have an active EC infection then she has yet to undergo procedures which may compromise her immune system and make her more susceptible to the shedded spores.

I just don't know. I have never had easier bondings than between Marley, Fiver & Scout (who have lived in every combination except just Marley & Scout) so I guess the odds are that if I took Marley out he would bond back with somebun eventually.

It is an option I am considering but my worry is:
1. Juno is a wildie and highly strung, she gets easily stressed and he can be a bit of a handful.
2. If he does have an active EC infection then she has yet to undergo procedures which may compromise her immune system and make her more susceptible to the shedded spores.

I just don't know. I have never had easier bondings than between Marley, Fiver & Scout (who have lived in every combination except just Marley & Scout) so I guess the odds are that if I took Marley out he would bond back with somebun eventually.

Ok, so you mean her spay? I would get this done asap and get her lapizoled and then give it a go with Marley. I would say however that you will need to accept Marley will never go back with the others.... awww gawd now i see the problem....

So now I'm writing as I'm thinking and reckon that Marley is best left if he is happy.... so hard to say Sooz but you must have a gut feeling..... I would recomend you follow it - so hard without knowing the buns :?:? x

Back