• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need vacinations?

Yes, although indoor bunnies are at a lower risk of getting myx (eg from biting insects), they can still get it. Similarly VHD, which can be brought into the house on your shoes etc (as I understand it).

Yes, mxyi vaccines should be given every 6 months, and VHD annually.
Mxyi is transmitted by insects, and im sure you notice, in summer, you do tend to get a lot of flies and gnats in the house. VHD can be brought in on anything, your clothes, even your shoes.

Yes, mxyi vaccines should be given every 6 months, and VHD annually.
Mxyi is transmitted by insects, and im sure you notice, in summer, you do tend to get a lot of flies and gnats in the house. VHD can be brought in on anything, your clothes, even your shoes.

sorry to but in to your thread :roll: do recommend the myxi every 6 months? our savy vet told me every yr :?

sorry to but in to your thread :roll: do recommend the myxi every 6 months? our savy vet told me every yr :?

It depends on each individual vet and if there have been alot of outbreaks in a particular area:D. I have always done mine yearly up until this last year as there were alot of outbreaks in my surrounding areas

Every year is the minimum but the effectiveness is lower towards the end of the year so i prefer to top it up every six months....it's not worht the risk after all.

My vet in leeds recommend yearly but I asked if I could have them six monthly and they were fine with it

I believe Intervet have recently changed their recommendation for Nobivac Myxi to 6 monthly as both my vets are now recommending it bi-annually and we are not considered a high risk area.

I've always had mine done every 6 months, as we're high risk here. Better to be safe than sorry really! It's also a good way of having a 6 monthly checkup.

I would recommend getting them done as well (every 6 months I was told by my vet).

True my bunnies are outside but my neighbour has two bunnies as well and she didn't get them done and they died about three weeks after she got them. We do live in a high risk area but even if I didn't, I would get them done.

Ours get done annually, to see why its so important have a look at pics on page www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com Outbreaks and A-Z (I.e V and M) even buns who have been vacinated it catch both and can very ill although they shouldn't die. On one page is a picture of Phonix who had been vacinated but has scars now after catching myxi look at her poor thing.
All buns should be done better safe than sorry. Its like Fleas although yours live in house you can still pass them on just by walking from car to house.

Back