• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long is too long? (nails)

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I was checking the bunnies over yesterday, and noticed Autumn's nails feel a bit long. they seem to be growing flat. I mean they are not excessively long and curly like ive seen on here, they are longer than Charlies. They are outdoor bunnies, on concrete, so I would have thought that that would wear them down.

I asked the vet to check them whilst she was under for her spay about 5 weeks ago, they can't have grown that much in 5 weeks surely

So how long is too long?

p.s. Im at the vets on monday, so I will just take her along, if they are too long. Ill try and get pics (haha)

well i cut mine down when their bout 3-4cm long after the wick. if you thing their too long even if you take a cm off them just to be on the safe side, i clip my buns once a month.

I'm sure you mean Millimetres not centimetres Ted n Petal :shock: I do the same as you, cut them when they're about 3-4 mm from the quick of the nail or when I think they're starting to look a bit long. My two girls, who have 24/7 access to their 'natural grass and earth warren', love to dig tunnels and therefore hardly ever need their nails trimmed. I expect house buns probably get less wear and tear so would need a manicure more often.

A pretty good guide is to cut the nails to the length of the fur on the toes...although that doesn't work with rexes or long haired buns

Back