• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun with head tilt!

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All

Xmas has been bit mad for me. My three year old daughter was poorly with a virus, my parents came down from Scotland for two weeks and my Dad ended up in hospital with pneumonia. Then to add to it, I have my friend's rabbit here whilst she is in Florida for two weeks and she came down with head tilt!

My vet, who is very rabbit savvy, checked her over for ear infection, mites, etc and she is now on a 28 day course of panacur as a measure against EC and two weeks of antibiotics as a measure against an inner ear infection. I feel terrible that it came on within a day of her being here, although I know it is not something I could have prevented.

She just seems as tho she is drunk as she staggers a bit when walking with her head tilted. However, she is eating fine and pooing fine.

Proving a bit difficult at the moment as I have my own two rabbits and my current foster bunny in the shed and I have to make sure Im careful about my clothing, cleaning tools, etc so that I cut down the risk of transferring anything.

My friend is back on the weekend - I just hope Maisy can pull thru this as she is my friend's 11yr old daughters and she is loved and cared for so much.

Oh blimey !! :shock:

An anti-inflammatory may help reduce the headtilt as its inflammation (from either infection or EC) that causes the symptom. Some Buns also respond well to STEMITIL.

I hope your daughter and Dad are better now ?

Oh blimey !! :shock:

An anti-inflammatory may help reduce the headtilt as its inflammation (from either infection or EC) that causes the symptom. Some Buns also respond well to STEMITIL.

I hope your daughter and Dad are better now ?

Hi Jane

Thanks for the info. Both daughter and Dad are fine now thanks. Was looking at your picture post a minute ago - you certainly have your hands full!

Im just gonna keep up meds and keep fingers crossed for Maisy.

Hi Jane

Thanks for the info. Both daughter and Dad are fine now thanks. Was looking at your picture post a minute ago - you certainly have your hands full!

Im just gonna keep up meds and keep fingers crossed for Maisy.

The recovery period can be long with headtilt and sometimes the Bun never fully 'straightens up'. But they can adapt perfectly well. As long as she is happy within herself and eating and pooing OK she has an excellent chance.
I'd warn her owners of how she looks though as I know people can find it distressing to see a Bun with their head twisted to one side.

Glad your Dad and Daughter are OK now :)

A bun can also find it useful to hve something like Meclizine (or something spelt similar) which stops them feeling so dizzy and yucky (its an antisickness/motion sickness drug in humans) which can help with the disorientation. I would also suggest a culture on the down ear to see if you can find an anti biotic specific to the bacteria. What anti biotic have you got for her?

A bun can also find it useful to hve something like Meclizine (or something spelt similar) which stops them feeling so dizzy and yucky (its an antisickness/motion sickness drug in humans) ?

Thats what Stemetil does, I have to have it from time to time and it's fabulous :)

A bun can also find it useful to hve something like Meclizine (or something spelt similar) which stops them feeling so dizzy and yucky (its an antisickness/motion sickness drug in humans) which can help with the disorientation. I would also suggest a culture on the down ear to see if you can find an anti biotic specific to the bacteria. What anti biotic have you got for her?

Vet has given me Septrin (banana flavoured). I believe this is also used with children.

I have used Septrin, but not on my bunny with head tilt. For her we used a much stronger anti-biotic, so if the Septrin doesn't work it might be worth looking into different and stronger alternatives because some infections don't respond to one med, but do respond to others. Hopefully you will get lucky though and this will work. My buns loved Septrin, it was so easy to give!

I have used Septrin, but not on my bunny with head tilt. For her we used a much stronger anti-biotic, so if the Septrin doesn't work it might be worth looking into different and stronger alternatives because some infections don't respond to one med, but do respond to others. Hopefully you will get lucky though and this will work. My buns loved Septrin, it was so easy to give!

Thanks, hopefully she will be lucky. Im dreading my friend coming to pick her up as I know her daughter will be upset. However, I am also confident that she will be very good at keeping up with the meds as well as the love and attention.

Back