• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bob Martin my little friend meadow hay

are all meadow hays the same, i was buying a different one but got this the other day and find its much easier to get out the bag than the other stuff i buy due to the pieces being smaller
does it make any difference?
should he be eating any perticulare hay?
timothy? Meadow etc? x

Hi there.

I don't recommend chopped hay at all.

I would rather see a bunny grabbing a long stalky bit to eat.

If you can, get local hay by the bale.

Doesn't matter what kind so long as it's fresh, green, dust free and sweet smelling.

I don't recommend bagged hay from pet shops as it' normally been in the bag unable to 'breath' for quite a while.

The only hay to avoid feeding as an everyday hay is Alfalfa.

ok i'll finish the bg of chopped hay then and wont get that any more :) X

youll actually find if you do buy it in bales from a farm that its cheaper !!! and its usually ebtter quality the reason people dont suggest the chopped stufff so much(except where bun has had incisors removed etc) is that by grinding and chewwing and chopping up the long strands they grind and wear their teeth down so are less likley to get dental issues. also providing chew toys and sticks such as willow haszelenut and apple branches is good too xx

Back