• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wooo hoo! So excited.... U/D :(

Mazda

Warren Veteran
For my birthday mum is going to see if our carpenter can make me either a 7x3x2 ft hutch or a 6x3x2 ft one!!! :D :D :D

How cool is that? Hopefully he wont charge to much! :lol: He has done loads of work for us on the house, and dad gets him alot of work... so he shouldnt do! :lol:

Is there anything i should no? what types of wood and stuff like that? xxx

Last edited:
That's brilliant :D

Tongue and groove is better than plywood...make sure it's stained wth pet safe woodstain...and see if you can get him to fit extra thick wire mesh to be on the safe side. an opening roof is sometimes handy too.

weld mesh is what most peopleuse and recommend for hutches with no problems

if i was building a hutch I would use something thicker but that might be difficult to obtain :? so see what your carpenter can get. definitely not chicken wire though.

weld mesh or avairy mesh is fine but it must be the square holes not the chicken wire hexaganol ones to be fox proof and make sure its well stapled down. also ask him to put bolts on rather than wooden flick catches adn the hook and eye things so you can put padlocks on tobe extra safe. also if he would you can get a folding up lid some people find this easier to clean(mine doesnt have that but i can take the lid off if i want to.

get him to layer the felt on the top too so its extra waterproof if you can.. tounge adn groove is meant to be best but ply wood is good too chipboard isnt so great as bunny wee/rain water tends to rot it through. you can ask if he can make it with 3 doors(much easier for bunny control and cleaning) one as a dark solid door adn 2 with mesh... oh and also if you were wanting to elininate any problems with wood swelling in heat cold and rain then a good rabbit save preservative covering and also get a handle put on the front the little bolts are murder to use to pull open a rain swollen door!!!! (trust me!!) if he is a very nice carpenter man maybe he can do it so it fits againts and attatches to your run? ohh uim proper excited for you!!! x

what type of mesh would you use? Ill have a look around on the web :) x

I've had a look around but I can't find any good pictures....just make sure its the thickest wire possible

In all fairness barely anyone has problems with normal guage weldmesh, i just had a freak accident with it so I'm paranoid :oops:

good luck anyway, and you must post pics when it's done :D:D

weld mesh or avairy mesh is fine but it must be the square holes not the chicken wire hexaganol ones to be fox proof and make sure its well stapled down. also ask him to put bolts on rather than wooden flick catches adn the hook and eye things so you can put padlocks on tobe extra safe. also if he would you can get a folding up lid some people find this easier to clean(mine doesnt have that but i can take the lid off if i want to.

get him to layer the felt on the top too so its extra waterproof if you can.. tounge adn groove is meant to be best but ply wood is good too chipboard isnt so great as bunny wee/rain water tends to rot it through. you can ask if he can make it with 3 doors(much easier for bunny control and cleaning) one as a dark solid door adn 2 with mesh... oh and also if you were wanting to elininate any problems with wood swelling in heat cold and rain then a good rabbit save preservative covering and also get a handle put on the front the little bolts are murder to use to pull open a rain swollen door!!!! (trust me!!) if he is a very nice carpenter man maybe he can do it so it fits againts and attatches to your run? ohh uim proper excited for you!!! x

cool :) Thanks for that :D
Thats fab. :) Ill save this... and show him for when he makes it... if he makes it! :lol: Im sure he will. Im really excited toooo!! :D bigger hitch = a rescue bun!! :lol: x

Not sure what setup you have at the moment but why don't you ask you mum about a playhouse or shed, it wouldn't cost anywhere near 400:shock: And if you already have a run you could attach that too!

Not sure what setup you have at the moment but why don't you ask you mum about a playhouse or shed, it wouldn't cost anywhere near 400:shock: And if you already have a run you could attach that too!

Yeaa! You can get a shed for £80-100 :D

Pebble would love it:love: (And of course plenty of space for a husbun;)):lol:

Back