• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy Hay Question

Ah right :?
So what exactly is the difference between timothy hay, normal hay and the excel forage?
Thanks for your reply Becca :wave:

I have herbage that has timothy hay in it. I'm not sure the difference apart from its greener :?

Ah right :?
So what exactly is the difference between timothy hay, normal hay and the excel forage?
Thanks for your reply Becca :wave:
Haven,t got a clue:lol::lol:
Have you had a look on the hay experts website it may tell you:D

Thanks, i always assumed it was Timothy Hay, i then looked at the packaging and it said nothing about 'Timothy' and said grass.

So what exactly is the difference between timothy hay, normal hay and the excel forage?:

Timothy hay is a particular variety of grass (presumably Timothy...) which is very coarse and tasty. It doesn't tend to grow very well in the UK climate which is why it's so expensive as it's mostly imported from the US. It's fine to feed ad lib but your purse will sure notice!

Normal hay (meadow hay) is just standard UK type grasses which are native, grown and harvested in the UK hence it's a lot cheaper. It's absolutely fine to feed as much of this as your buns will eat, as it's what they'd get in the wild anyway, and if you buy it by the bale it's very cheap!

Excel forage and other dried grasses like readigrass are literally dried grass - whereas hay is left to dry out naturally, dried grasses are dried out quickly at high temperature, which gives them a different taste and they tend to have higher protein/nutrition levels than the equivalent hay, so they should really be given in smaller quantities.

Last edited:

I've found out that it's most commonly grown in Canada?

Ghostie (bless her heart) the first time i put it in there could smell it (it was dark) and she ran over and literally mugged the hay rack.

Last edited:
Look what you've done now, you've quoted my ignorance which I then edited after a quick read of the hay experts website :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Don't worry, my initial post said I don't know what's different in the drying process between dried grass and hay...and then I went and had a look on THE site and came back and edited it, but in the meantime you'd quoted my original post :lol::lol:

Oops, sorry, cor Alison, you really should have know better :no:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Don't worry, my initial post said I don't know what's different in the drying process between dried grass and hay...and then I went and had a look on THE site and came back and edited it, but in the meantime you'd quoted my original post :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: And there was me, reading that other post and thinking "Cor, Alison knows a lot about hay". :lol::lol:

Back