• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post Mortem results, please read.

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I felt I should start a seperate thread for the PM results for the bunny I lost yesterday as it has the potential to affect other members of the forum.

Firstly I didn't put many details about which bunny it was yesterday as there were a few people I wanted to contact first before they read about it on the forum. Unfortunately it was Leon one of the REW's that were taken by the police, I still have his brother Larry here as he has spinal problems.

Secondly I don't want to scare other members that have some of these bunnies but felt it would be unfair of me not to share the information if there is the slightest chance other REW's could be affected.

It turns out that it wasn't a heart or lung problem but in fact a problem with his stomach. It was pyloric stenosis. This is where the pyloris is thickened, hardened and too small to let food pass through from the stomach to the intestines. Poor Leon's guts were completely empty to the point there was not a drop of food or gas in them, my vet had never seen a gut like it before. His stomach was completely full of food which couldn't empty. I comented on how he had eaten that morning and jen said she knew he had because there was fresh food at the top of his stomach. However the food at the pyloric opening was mixed with pus. It seems like there was a very small tumour on his pyloris that had completely blocked it and then burst and become infected.

What completely amazes me is that he was binkying and pooing normally the day before. She said he wouldn't have been in pain much of the time but just felt very full. His breathing problems were caused buy his distended stomach pushing his diaphragm against his lungs stopping him from getting enough air in his lungs.

Jen went on to say that there is nothing that could have been done for him, if he had gone to there vets they would have treated him as I had and if an emergency vet with little knowledge had given metaclopromide it would have caused a whole lot of damage. The tumour was so tiny she said an xray would not have shown it up even if he had display symptoms earlier and because he was still over weight his filling stomach would have been hard to pick up on.

I did ask whether this was a genetic problem that could cause problems with the other bunnies. She said the potental is there but there is nothing that could be done to stop it happening. Jen said they don't see any New Zealand white as a rule because the majority of these rabbits are destined to end there lives at only a few months. Therefore no one has much information about the problems that can arise when bunnies are taken from this situation and given the chance to live longer.

I really want to share this info because if any of the other REW's ever do show signs of stasis it really is something to consider and metaclopromide should be given with caution.

This is the original thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=161719

Last edited:
Thats just so sad for him. As you say, there is no way that would have been picked up but it is good to have a warning for the other guys who have them, and I will certainly pass it onto other people I know who have rew's who don't come on here.

Although it doesn't make any difference to how we feel when we lose a pet, I think that the lives of these boys were so special and symbolised so much. He may not have had long, but he had freedom, and you can't put a price on that.

awwww hun im sorry you lost one of the REWS after all theyd been thro.. so happy he was home tho :cry::cry::cry::cry:

sending vibes to the others (just incase) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I so sorry that you lost little Leon. Although his life was short, it was significantly better than the alternative. I am sure he is grateful for the time he got to spend with you. I think you are very brave and thoughtful sharing this information. Sending vibes and hoping that the other REW's are not affected by this.

Are New Zealand whites not often seen by vets because they are used mainly for tetsing purposes? If so, how very very sad.

Last edited:
Basically yes :( Either for laboratory purposes or the dinner table.

I have just googled pyloric stenosis in rabbits and it seems like it is genetic and has been reported mainly in young and adult lab rabbits :(

OMG, I am so, SO sorry to hear this. It gave me horrible flashbacks to Jane's beloved girlie Boblets. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

But I am SO happy that his final days were spent with you, so that he had the chance to know love and happiness.....which sadly SO many of these poor buns are not destined for. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Binky FREE forever at the Bridge, Gorgeous Leon. xxxxxxx :cry: :cry:

Thats just so sad for him. As you say, there is no way that would have been picked up but it is good to have a warning for the other guys who have them, and I will certainly pass it onto other people I know who have rew's who don't come on here.

Although it doesn't make any difference to how we feel when we lose a pet, I think that the lives of these boys were so special and symbolised so much. He may not have had long, but he had freedom, and you can't put a price on that.

I second this.

Im so sorry xx

So he defied the odds to make it this far then :cry:

It's so sad what those poor lab rabbits go through. They must get just thrown away if they are genetic failures. I can't even think about it anymore, it will make me too mad :censored:

That is really terrible, poor, poor buns that live for the table or to be experimented on then if they do live they could die from such a horrible thing. :cry: Can't get my head around it. Its just too sad for words. :cry:

Binky free Leon.

Isnt this what happened to Jane's boblet girls? Sorry if I'm wrong. I'm so sorry Liz x x x

To me it also raises the issue of how can results of these 'tests' be accurate if there are known genetic problems like this? Just another flaw in their reasoning to me.

Yes, I know, I wasn't thinking about it anymore.

I guess that would depend on the linage of the rew. If a breeder has got a long line of them with no problems, then maybe not, but how many breeders are that detailsed on the health of all the line?

Jane I knew you had lost REW's to it but had forgotten they were from the meat trade too, could only recall they were from a particularly bad breeder :(

I'm so glad I posted all the info now, I just pray that the other bunnies all stay health including my Larry

ETA Just checked the links and they are the same ones I have just read :(

What a terrible start to the new year

Oh Liz how terribly sad, but at least Leon knew love, care and belonging for his final time on earth. At least thanks to the PM you know that it was not your fault and you could not have done anything to change the outcome, and the outcome of the PM may also be important to others (although we hope not!)

I do hope that this is just a single isolated incident and that after a bad start, 2009 will bring you, Steve and your bunnies much happiness xxx

Back