• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cremation information

raine

Warren Veteran
Having lost my darling Maisie recently, I was suddenly confronted with arranging a cremation for her. Its not until we have actually lose a pet, that we then start doing some research or leave the arrangements to our vets as we are grieving. Its often all too much.

My way of coping with Maisie is for some good to come out of her passing and thats why I want to share with you what I have discovered by accident.

I telephoned the emergency vets ( a large company) and they told me to bring Maisie to them and that she would come back to me in two weeks. It seemed such a long time. Thankfully I did some research on the internet and found there are alternatives to using these large companies. I found a pet crematorium, who opened especially to meet me with Maisie. They treated her with such respect and I was allowed to collect her yesterday and bring her home.

Whilst your bunnies are healthy, have plans in place for the future. Speak to your vets and see where they out-source their cremations and see if you are happy to go that route. When you are deeply upset, its not the time. The crematorium I went to near Basingstoke, is part of an organisation that is based across the UK, so there might be one nearer to you.

The costs to me was £100, but this included £30 for opening on the Sunday to meet me. Not a great deal of money at an awful time.

http://www.dignitypetcrem.co.uk/home.html

My purpose of writing this is to help someone in the future and not to hurt anyone who did something different in the past. I was not aware of the large companies now involved in this service and I am thankful that I accidently found a more personal service for her.

My Grandma has been pricing up a cremation for her cat Scruff, who's perfectly healthy, well, perfectly healthy for a 14 year old cat with no teeth :lol:
She "shopped around" and found a lovely place :)

Thanks so much for this Lorraine, you are absolutely right it is the last thing you think about when a beloved pet passes away so this information is really useful. The place you found looks absolutely wonderful and substantially more reasonably priced than I have been quoted by my previous vets, I will definitely bookmark the website.

Thankfully I haven't had to do this yet, but I know several people who have used Dignity - and found them to be wonderfully sensitive.

Aww looks like a lovely place :)

We only have one place to get it done here so are lucky that they seem to be ok, otherwise you wouldn’t have much choice other than to bury them yourself. They have treated my rats very well. It’s the JSPCA that does it though so they probably see animals they have found homes for and are a bit more understanding than say if it was being done by someone who didn’t work closely with animals in any other way

Aww that looks so nice and not too far from me either. Having lost Paulie on boxing day, you are so right about not waiting until you are grieving before making decisions. Thanks for posting.

This is really useful information. Thank you for taking the time to post about this. I've been looking here... http://www.pet-crematorium.co.uk as they do individual cremations too. Ranging from £80-£140 depending on the type of urn/box you want. They have those pebbles too, does anyone know how they work? Are they to bury or to keep?

I've had 2 bunnies cremated at Dignity near Hartley Wintney and cannot praise them enough for the way they have dealt with my bunnies and me.

Wow I've just done a search on Pet Crematorium Essex and found several, I had no idea, I just assumed they all went to the big one at Cambridge from here. I definitely have some good links bookmarked now.

I really wish I'd known this when Sooty died, my previous vets told me it would be £300 to have him cremated and his ashes returned, one of the Essex ones is quoting £55 for an individual cremation. I know price isn't everything but this has definitely given me much food for thought should the worst happen with any of mine now. Thanks again.

I so wanted the thread to be useful and for people to question their vets on this before they need too. We too used the one at Hartley Wintney and they were wonderful. It was upsetting taking Maisie the journey there, but I felt I owed it to her.

That site just made me a bit upset :( I guess you are right though.. need to think about what to do when the time comes.. I'd hate to think my bunnies were to be mass cremated :cry:

I have had one of my foster bunnys (the lovely Freckles) cremated at Dignity and our vet group practice of 6 clinics all use their services for our clients that would like an individual service.

The crematorium is easy to find, it's a really nice, quiet spot and the people are very pleasant. I would be happy to recommend them.

Just so you know, when the drivers collect the animals from our vets, even they are very dignified in the way that the remains are handled. Gently placed in a discreet car with blacked out window, and normally they go with their owners choice of bed or blanky. It's very reassuring to know that they treat the animals as special right up to the end.

Helen

The vets I work for also use Dignity. They are so respectful in person and on the phone.

My mum used them when her cat died and they were great.

This is really useful information. Thank you for taking the time to post about this. I've been looking here... http://www.pet-crematorium.co.uk as they do individual cremations too. Ranging from £80-£140 depending on the type of urn/box you want. They have those pebbles too, does anyone know how they work? Are they to bury or to keep?

After loosing parsley on the 1st, i decided to get her put in a garden pebble, they just sit in the garden, my vet said many people put them in rockeries. My wee Parsley will be going beside her shed.

Its hard, your right thought lorraine, as i dont have a clue where parsley is right now, or what is going to happen to her. I was so upset at the time i couldnt ask... im hoping its definatly her i get back :cry:.

I also used Dignity at Hartley Wintney when my cat Basil died. They were very good and left me to sob my heart out in an armchair in a quiet room while cuddling him for the last time. Gosh I'm crying even remembering it :cry:

I use one in Epping, he's so used to seeing me now he doesn't charge for the rats. Cambrige is fantastic to and have used them once but couldn't fork out 100 quid for every rat to be cremated, losing Isaac yesterday I can't decide what I am doing whether it's cambridge, epping or somewhere else.

i dont intend to keep ashes so i will just take Pearl to the vets after Alvin has said his goodbyes and they will send her to be cremated with the other animals that wont be returning to thier owners.

i dont intend to keep ashes so i will just take Pearl to the vets after Alvin has said his goodbyes and they will send her to be cremated with the other animals that wont be returning to thier owners.
***hugest hugs***

I've just phoned Dignity - didn't realise they were as near to me as they are - consulted with my mum and we are going to use them I think, they are so lovely on the phone and for an immediate cremation it really isn't a bad price - cheaper than cambridge- and I am so sorry for dragging up such an old thread.

Hi, so sorry you lost your Maisie and thankyou for the advise. I lost my Tilly nearly 3 months ago, paid for her to be individually cremated via my vet, and STILL havent got her ashes back :censored: I feel I need to get her back here with me to have a proper goodbye. Im so annoyed by the whole thing, I just want her home with me :cry:
It really is important to use a reputable understanding pet cremation service when your beloved dies.
xxx

Back