• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can I have your advice! - PIC UPDATE

Which option should I pick for bigwig

• Playpen

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Nic cubes

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Watership_Down

Warren Scout
Our Bigwig is still living in the cage we got him . Although he does have free access to the sitting room all day. Now I am confused as to what cage to get him -

I initially wanted to buy this - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...10199769|Safety+gates+and+guards|10199808.htm

as I thought its would look nice in the sitting room.

But since joining I have being looking at the nic cages and quite like them now.......

So any advice and reasons why would be so helpful xx

Last edited:
I think given how big he is NIC cubes would be better for you to custom design a pen around his size.

i have both... two pens attached to each other with a small roof at one end made from nic grids... easily dismantled for travel and open plan so a lot easier to keep clean... this is about my 4th cage for Alvin and pearl and by far the best... only way i could improve it now is to add another panel but i need a bigger house for that :lol::lol:

The nic cubes would have to be very high to stop him jumping out. My german lops could easily clear a pen two cubes high and I would guess Bigwig is at least that big? If you're just looking for a space that he can retreat to for his bed/food etc and he is free range during the day then I would probably say a large dog crate would be best and they're good value too if you shop around.

he looks like a giant of some sort, judging by your vid.

Would you be using it as a divider to continue to allow him to free range and and keeping his old cage as a base, or is it to be his pen?

I do think the nic option is better in terms of enclosed space, for when you go out. Although we have made our hall way bunnysafe, and she has that, and the NIC are her safe haven.

he looks like a giant of some sort, judging by your vid.

Would you be using it as a divider to continue to allow him to free range and and keeping his old cage as a base, or is it to be his pen?

I do think the nic option is better in terms of enclosed space, for when you go out. Although we have made our hall way bunnysafe, and she has that, and the NIC are her safe haven.

We were thinking as an addition to the cage he already has it would lead on to the pen when we were out. or as a room divider although his cage is small he seems to like to retreat there. i think the fact that the cubes are not easy access is putting me off

The nic cubes would have to be very high to stop him jumping out. My german lops could easily clear a pen two cubes high and I would guess Bigwig is at least that big? If you're just looking for a space that he can retreat to for his bed/food etc and he is free range during the day then I would probably say a large dog crate would be best and they're good value too if you shop around.
arent the dog crates super pricy?

We started off with exactly the same pen for our Jemima & it was plenty big enough for her when it was in an L shape against 2 walls. In it she had a dog bed to sleep in & an super large litter tray for weeing in etc. I also like the fact that there's a gate in it, making for easy access for us. However, she's no longer in that & has taken up residence in the kitchen & is totally free range when we're in. I think the playpen is very sturdy - but then again I've never used NIC cubes, so don't know much about them.

Well from the look of his ears - he's gonna be a big boy. I have a frenchie and wouldn't trust leaving him in the play pen as he would be able to jump out don't think i'd trust him with the nic cubes either. We have a large dog crate for ours. You can get them quite cheap off ebay or even somewhere like zooplus?

we adopted a rabbit few days ago and i finally got Nic cubes yeaterday. fantasic -howevr dring up driveway today who is looking out the window at me -but honey she hhad managed to jump out onto tv stand and over onto window sill. so for cubes go high

DCFC0013.jpg

This is what he is in now

Well from the look of his ears - he's gonna be a big boy. I have a frenchie and wouldn't trust leaving him in the play pen as he would be able to jump out don't think i'd trust him with the nic cubes either. We have a large dog crate for ours. You can get them quite cheap off ebay or even somewhere like zooplus?

will have a look at ebay xx

We started off with exactly the same pen for our Jemima & it was plenty big enough for her when it was in an L shape against 2 walls. In it she had a dog bed to sleep in & an super large litter tray for weeing in etc. I also like the fact that there's a gate in it, making for easy access for us. However, she's no longer in that & has taken up residence in the kitchen & is totally free range when we're in. I think the playpen is very sturdy - but then again I've never used NIC cubes, so don't know much about them.

I am definately swaying towards the playpen. The door system is great xx

arent the dog crates super pricy?

I got a 48" (I think - it was the biggest I could get) for around £50 including postage! And it was brand new.
Although it sounds like your looking for more of an enclosure, so I would go for a pen or maybe use metal run panels?

I got a 48" (I think - it was the biggest I could get) for around £50 including postage! And it was brand new.
Although it sounds like your looking for more of an enclosure, so I would go for a pen or maybe use metal run panels?

looking on ebay now to see

Back