• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

had to throw my bunnies present away!

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
:shock: I bought them some dried fruit leaves for christmas and I got some out today and they are full of sticks covered in thorns :shock: No way was I letting my girlies eat that :(

hmm..

If i were you i would contact the place you bought them from
Surely they cant be allowed to sell things that could potentially harm animals?
Thorns in a rabbits throat doesnt sound like fun to me :S

:shock: I bought them some dried fruit leaves for christmas and I got some out today and they are full of sticks covered in thorns :shock: No way was I letting my girlies eat that :(

Is the the Naturals, Trio of Fruit Leaves?

I bought some and it had some of the stems in it, but have had no worries about spikey bits yet.

Oh I got them Sophie left the thorny ones ( I don't blame her), but it ended up in my foot owch!!

I thought they could have them as they would be chewed down before they went down their throat. I regularly give mine raspberry leaves, mine are the thornless variety, but as I saw they could have them I assumed that they could have any. the same with blackberry leaves.

What sort of plant/thorns? I'm not sure it matters to buns so much. Mine love blackberry leaves is it, that have thorns underneath and they eat them fine. Mine also love hawthorn and either much the thorns too or munch round them x

Mine happily munch thorny things too - blackberry bushes, rose bushes etc... Remember that the equivalent size of a thorn to them is probably about the same as you eating a small pointy carrot :)

well I personally don't want my rabbits eating sticks covered in tiny thorns :(
They were from wilkinsons, it was a salad of fruit leaves :( they hurt me enough when I picked them up lol, I wouldn't of minded if there were only a few but there were hundreds :?

how come they can't eat thistles if they can eat thorns?

well I personally don't want my rabbits eating sticks covered in tiny thorns :(
They were from wilkinsons, it was a salad of fruit leaves :( they hurt me enough when I picked them up lol, I wouldn't of minded if there were only a few but there were hundreds :?

i know which ones u mean hun, i got them from wilkinsons too once and i didnt give them to them in the end, they were very sharp. what actually made me notice was domino not eating them, and then i saw pebbles eating ROUND the spiky ones!

so i took them out!

they hurt me enough when I picked them up lol, I wouldn't of minded if there were only a few but there were hundreds :?

But that's exactly the point I was making - they hurt you because you are big and they are small...proportionally they're a totally different size to a rabbit. If you pick up a handful of forks they don't hurt your hands, because the pointy bits are much bigger in comparison to you :) If your buns avoid them like SJs did then they are clearly bothered but I'd wait and see if they eat them first.

I don't see the relevance of whether they can eat thistles or not...it's an entirely different plant, so there's no reason why buns can't eat some thorny plants and not others, in just the same way that they can eat some fruits and not others.

both plants are spikey so there is some sort of link.
It's too late now anyway, I just wont by them again :)

Mine happily munch thorny things too - blackberry bushes, rose bushes etc... Remember that the equivalent size of a thorn to them is probably about the same as you eating a small pointy carrot :)

LOla loves thorny rose cuttings :love:

Back