• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor & Outdoor Bunnies

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Which do you think is healthier for bunnies, indoor or outdoor? You could take into account air quality, space, company, happiness, etc.

I would say indoor is healthier in they are less likely to get myxi, fly strike and vhd but I think outdoor is better for giving them fresh air.

Topic

Yeah, i do agree that indoor (whilst it may not be natural) Is better for the rabbit....
as already said- they are less at risk of many diseases (the thought of archie getting myxie is just awful :( !!
But i do think that being outdoors is probably better in the fact that it builds their immune systems and they wear down their nails quickly!
We are forever cutting archies flipping nails:lol:
I dont think anyone can come up with an answer as everyone thinks differently!

x

I think that it's more natural for a bunny to be outside, and i think it's healthier too, but how i long for my buns to be indoors so i can get more cuddles!!

I think Outdoor is best :)

Lottie was indoors before she met George. She was always moulting and digging at the walls :roll: I always thought she was happy but ever since shes moved outside with George, ive never seen such a happy pair of bunnies :)

I have both indoor and outdoor bunnies mind you... i think the indoor buns benifit in this sort of weather because they get more human contact etc :)

By the end of this year all my buns will be outside :) xXx

Even though I would kill for my buns to be indoors, I think it is better for them outside. Fresh air, fresh grass, etc.

My buns have always been outdoor though, and they don't like being indoors, so I think buns warm to where they are. If my buns came indoors from Day 1, they would probably hate being outdoors.
Jack x

I think a mixture of both for them - indoors in the winter & outdoors for the better weather & summer, which is what all of ours have :D

I think there are pros and cons to both.

Mine are indoors because i like them having more interactionand company, plus I would over worry through winter. I do often wonder though if im a tad selfish as they miss out on the naturalness of outside, the fresh air and digging etc.. But mine wouldnt be safe outdoors here. They seem extremely happy though.

This is the first winter where I have had both. My indoor buns do live with open windows, no central heating etc - so as natural as poss, & they get outdoor access several times a week.

I spend more time with my indoor buns - which is proving a problem at present as I have outdoor single ones:roll: I also worry they are too cold, & this weekend I was wrapping hot water bottles up & checking water every 5 mins:roll:

That said - my new runs are ace, cos I can exercise without feeling the need to be in:D

I have indoor bunnies and I prefer having them indoors. I feel you get a better bond with them.

I do worry they miss out running around on grass, but they sure love jumping about on the sofa :lol:

We grow them fresh grass, leave windows open and have no heating. Even when we move into a house they will remain indoors but will have access to the garden.

I think there are pros and cons of both...

Indoor is obviously safer for them, but would also harbour its own risks (electrical cables). I don't think either is essentially better, but one might be better suited to a certain set on conditions that the other.

Hannah

I think it depends on the individual rabbit.

Some adapt very well to an indoor environment and love the human interaction, warmth, etc...but others seem to find it stressful being indoors with all the strange smells, sounds, etc.

I agree that there are pros and cons to both, and it depends on your rabbits.

One of mine in particular gets depressed outdoors, so he had to be moved in, and I had two years ago who couldn't bear to be inside, so they were far better off outdoors. I think different options are best for different bunnies.

Some adapt very well to an indoor environment and love the human interaction, warmth, etc...but others seem to find it stressful being indoors with all the strange smells, sounds, etc.

I agree :)

Sophie has always been indoors so she knows no different and if you put her out for a run outside, she isn't happy for it and sits at the doors waiting to come back in again.

It definitely depends on the bun I think.

Depends on the bunny (Squidgy hates being outside), but I personally think it is a more natural and healthy environment for bunnies to be outside. As long as they have access to other bunnies, and a large space.

Mine all love playtime outside (except Smirnoff) & all charge about binkying, but when it's time to come in,or it rains, they all queue at the door (except Polly):lol:

I think it depends on the bunnies. All my 6 are outdoors, but we'll bring a pair in on an evening for a run around. They're all different. Biscuit loves it, but Wuzzle gets in all the small spaces and refuses to come out. Dylan does laps of the flat, gets behind the sofa an TV, Pheebs just sits and doesn't get up to any mischief, Wookie licks the carpets and Nibbles won't leave the carpet. She's petrified of the vinyl floor in the kitchen and bathroom!!

Bobby and Minnie loved being indoors. Bobby always wanted to be a house bunny, and Minnie would spend all her time eating the furnature :lol: I miss those 2.

We had a foster bunny a while ago (that Tickles adopted :)) and she was terrible outdoors because she wasn't socailising. Wehn we took her on, we brought her indoors and it did her loadsa good. She never used to leave her pen, so I used to leave it open. I'll never forget the day I came home from work and she was sat next to the fire place with a USB cable in 4 bits :lol: Lily then paired up with Ozzy and they live happily outdoors :)

Back