• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Bunny help!

helenmemu

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have accquired a baby bunny. She is 7 weeks old, White with blue eyes Mini Lop.

I have a concern as she appears to sway her head from side to side when she stops to watch / look at things. Is this normal? Is it because she is so young her eyes are not focusing properly?

I would apprecaite all help and I have just been through major heartache losing one of my buns and I am now concerned that this is going to be another heartache waiting to happen!

Swaying of the head could indicate EC. She needs to see a vet ASAP to put her on panacur and antibiotics. (i think). Someone more experienced will have better advice. Hope she's ok.

REWs often have a condition known as 'scanning' where they move their heads from left to right in an attempt to focus as their eyesight is so poor. I don't know if it affects BEWs though. :?

I have a little Netherland dwarf...well shes 9 months old now. She snuggles up and stares into space like shes in a world of her own....bless her. Shes been to the vets for an abcess and complete check over and shes a very healthy bun....She is white with red eyes...so maybe it's sight ?...be good to hear what others say/think.

Any bun who has REW in their heritage can have the scannign problem and BEWs can have REW in their genes. I had a sable who scanned and swayed all the time. He lived to 9 with no problems related to that. He died of a tumour in his tummy, nothing related to his eyes or brain at all. If you are worried though, then mention it to your vet when you go for vaccinations, or before, if you are very concerned :)

well i am starting to feel better about it now, think I will still get her booked in for a MOT as soon as I can though just for peace of mind

George does this very often :) He has red eyes, i was worried about it at first and rushed him to the vets :oops: to be told it was totally normal :) xXx

REWs often have a condition known as 'scanning' where they move their heads from left to right in an attempt to focus as their eyesight is so poor. I don't know if it affects BEWs though. :?

This does affect BEW's especially if they are a bit blue a bit pink (like my fosters). The mum is a mix of RE/BLUE but with an opal coat and some of the litter are REW pure with white fluff too. All of the family scan but are in tip top health otherwise. I just think it's genetic.

Back