• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay wound help

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Sophie had her spay on the 19 on the 23 she took her stitches out and had the wound stapled back up. As she has had a sock on Ive not been looking at her wound as she has been fine, not bothering with it.

Just had a look and it looks ok, she has knocked it and it has bled a little ove the staples, and it looks to be a bit of a lump under the wound.

is this normal with staples? Just wondering as I would hate her to go down hill over night. Autumn healed, what I thought was normally

Without being able to feel the wound its impossible to say for certain if the lump is just a local reaction to the staples or if it is something more serious like a hernia.
If in doubt I'd ask the Vet to take a look at her today as I guess the Vet will be closed tomorrow.

I had a doe (closed with sutures) whose wound went lumpy after arpund a week and she had a shallow infection at the suture site.

It's probably worth having checked for your own peace of mind.

BB had a traumatic time with her spay and suffered both from hernias (3 in all), a bad reaction to the suture material (in that her body absorbed it and the whole wound popped open) and also a local reaction on the scar tissue.

The localised reaction felt like fluid just under the skin, but I took her back to be checked as it seemed similar to a hernia and as I couldn't be certain I didn't want to risk it - even a small hernia could strangulate.

I'd agree with Jane and say better check with the vet

It felt quite hard, and I wondered if it could be a hernia. I took her to the vet, as they were closing early today and wouldn't be open tomorrow, and they know I am on the buses, so I couldn't go to the emergency.

Anyway I was in there all of 45 seconds, nothing to worry about apparently. There is some localised infection. He pressed it and puss came out (egguuhhh) Im squemish at the best of times, I couldn't look at her staples for two days!

He has put back taking the staples out, due to the infection, from Friday to Monday.

thanks for the replies guys!!

Anyway I was in there all of 45 seconds, nothing to worry about apparently. There is some localised infection. He pressed it and puss came out (egguuhhh)

thanks for the replies guys!!

That was exactly what Lola's was like, she went back on abx and it soon cleared up and healed over.

She is still not herself, very quite, not moving much. Is drinking and eating and pooing. but can't place my finger on it. Vet said "well you wouldn't be feeling yourself if you have staples down your middle either" which is fair enough, but she has been herself until last night and now is very subdued.

Am I worrying over nothing??

She is still not herself, very quite, not moving much. Is drinking and eating and pooing. but can't place my finger on it. Vet said "well you wouldn't be feeling yourself if you have staples down your middle either" which is fair enough, but she has been herself until last night and now is very subdued.

Am I worrying over nothing??

Has she had any pain relief and is she now on antibiotics ? If 'no' to both then I would most definately quizz the Vet as to why..................
Is she eating and are her poos normal in size and quantity?

Last edited:
He poos are normal, lots and lots, very golden as all three of mine a refusing pellets at the minute :roll:, but going through heaps of hay.

She had pain relief when the staples went in and she has been on anti biotics since then too. the vet has put back my app to have the staples out, but not given me antibiotice to cover those two days, he said I should have enough.

Im thinking of changing my vets. The vet I went to has left :(, she knew a lot about rabbits. After his comment yesterday, he doesn't seem to know more than the basics.

Back