• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are my Babies warm enough...

Michelle666

Mama Doe
I know its bitterly cold at the mo, but im worried my girls might be cold. I have two giants who live in a shed/run convert (Very big) and ive made sure they have plenty of straw and hay to sleep on, but every time i go in there, theyve spread it out and dont lay on it. Also they spend most of the evening outside... i just dont want them being cold. Should they have large dog beds, blackets or something???

you sound just like me. My 2 live in a shed with a run attached although I close off the run at night. I worry myself sick about my 2 and every morning they pop out into the run and I breathe a sigh of relief. Not sure what temperature drop they could survive though and do worry if it goes too cold. Mine have a snugglesafe, a hay filled box and a towel and I suspect they spend all night sitting on the towel which is not warm! Daft things these rabbits aren't they?

I am worried as well. At the moment I have 2 pairs in 2 hutches right next to each other (they are all free range together during the day - and YAY for my birthday I am getting a nice big combined hutch complex!!) so they each have another bunny for comfort & warmth and they have loads of hay and straw but I am thinking... should I cover the hutches with a sheet or anything overnight?? Or add something else in to them for added warmth? I am constantly going out there and checking on them and although I am regularly freshening it up every morning their water is frozen :(

they should be fine my nans sit outside every night in weather like this and they seem fine, they should have grown their winter coats by now.

they should be fine my nans sit outside every night in weather like this and they seem fine, they should have grown their winter coats by now.

mine definitely look like they have their winter coats! But is it typical to cover the hutches at night? I never have but a friend of mine swears by it.

yeah well mine are in the shed like because they're still young and this is their first winter, well you could always place a hot water bottle in with them if you think it's going to be an extra cold night.

mine have two fleeces a mixture of straw and hay, and their snuggle safe in the hutch.... guess where they prefer to be!! ofcourse outside. Im sure if they were very cold they would go inside.

Mine live in sheds too but spend quite a lot of time out in their runs, but I also close off the run at night to make them stay inside!

They have three tiers inside the shed, and the top tier is stuffed to the rafters with hay, but they're more often found lying on the floor:roll::roll:

They're fur is really dense, but I've just spent 10 mins outside adding more hay and topping up water and I couldn't move my fingers when I got back inside so I don't know how they cope.

has anyone found their rabbits' ears frozen. I have when they got a bit wet and stayed out in the run too long - their ears felt really crispy and frozen. Needless to say I thawed them out with a rub of a towel and they were fine.

has anyone found their rabbits' ears frozen. I have when they got a bit wet and stayed out in the run too long - their ears felt really crispy and frozen. Needless to say I thawed them out with a rub of a towel and they were fine.

oh gosh no I havent found that yet with mine. Rabbits DO make you worry so much arent they. They arent carefree pets to have at all! But rewarding.

I had to (um) enlighten someone who was going to get a rabbit for her child as "they are about as much work as a hamster" (shockhorror!)

I have a 2 year old boy, 4 rabbits, 2 cats a husband and a house to run and I am NEVER not working and the animals take up SO much time... rabbits ARE NOT easy to look after!!!!

Mines an inside bun....but when I had no heating I put a heater in his room so he didn't get too cold. He has foil under his hutch too (I broke the legs :oops: so its directly on the floor) and a mountain of hay. I'd panic so much if he was outside.
When I was a kid and we had bunnies they lived outside. We used to put an old duvet over the hutch and a sock filled with straw over their water bottle.

Our thats are in a she, a also shut in overnight, but there's 5 of them so I'm sure they all snuggle up and keep warm that way. The ones that have water bowls every mornign and eve I make their water warm with cold and boiled water mixed well together. I find just this extra bit of warmth sometimes stops the bowls freezing over. Plus they seem to love warm water to drink :lol: espcially Niamh on a frosty morning :lol:
The hutches have plenty of straw etc and I put bubble wrap round the bottles with an old sock on top which seems to stop them freezing x x
I think they're ok. They have good thick winter coats x

Hi, I think it depends on what they are used too. When I lived at home, we kept rabbits and they all lived outside, nothing more than a hutch and hay to keep them warm at night and they all lived for years!

I think the problems come if when you are moving them from hot to cold all the time.

Back