• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bowls frozen within 2 hours...

karen354

Warren Veteran
Sorted buns and piggies out then went back out 2 hours later and their water bowls were frozen solid :shock: any idea's what I can do to stop them feezing ? I've heard a metal spoon can stop the water bowls freezing.

I will go and check them again at 2am but after then I'm going to have to get some sleep.

I put a thermal glove over my outside bunnies bottles.....seems to have kept it ok,theyre hutches are covered overnight too.

Depending on the size of the bowls you could try floating something in it....ping pong ball might work.

I had the same problem yesterday. I refreshed the bowl when i got home and Barley was especially eager for some water. It had frozen again when I went to check at 9 - changed once more. Come morning it was frozen solid, I refreshed (bowl and bottle) and again Barley and Floss were both eager for a drink (altough to be honest they do always have a drink after eating breakfast). Now I'm worried it will be frozen again as it was aobut -4 when I left home and isn't due to warm up much above 0. I won't be able to refresh the water again until I get home at about 2.30.

Other than this they don't seem worried at all with this cold weather!

Hannah

My water bowls were all frozen solid this morning, and again at lunch time.

You can float a little ball, but only a small rim around the ball stays unfrozen, so I doubt the rabbits would attempt to drink from it.

I hope someone has a solution 'cos I'm out of ideas!!

I'm out of ideas also - tried the ping pong ball and ended up with ping pong ball frozen in bowl.
Tried putting bubble wrap round bowl (also didn't work). Now just hoping they don't mind licking ice as am not prepared to get up in middle of night to de-frost bowl. Just wondering about trying metal spoon - wonder what the physics behind that is? Luckily my 2 don't drink a lot and love their veg which I hope gives them enough water for the night.
Any ideas very welcome - never had a problem with water bottles when they were in hutch as I used snugglesafe bottle cover but can't really put water bottle in shed - well probably could (will look at that option)

My bowls even in the shed were frozen solid this morning. They have been clear all day now but dreading tonight. I did out them ontop of smuggle safes last year but that didnt work.

my ones were wierd last night changed them in the morning cme night time the one outside was fine the two in the garage well one was frozen one was not :? very strange i have images of 4 bunnies hugging one bottle to stop it from freezing

my sis has just been out trying to defrost the bird bath normally just a small layer of frost this time it was froozen from top to bottom :shock: so she emptied it all out after managing to defrost it, to stop the ice cracking it and covered it all back up again

I use bowls and mine are also frozen. I once read that a few drops of glycerine stops the wter freezing but I have never tried it

I just googled it and it seems pretty harmless, especially if only a few drops are used. I'm pretty sure I read it in Rabbiting on a few years back. I have always meant to try it but never got round to buying any

I've stopped giving them water via bowls. I've made my own anti-freeze bottle warmers with ski socks and plastic bags and that seems to have worked, they still drink it from a bottle.

Back