• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pootle poo...

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi :wave:

My foster has had dirty bum problems since she came to me, she's needed shaving, trimming, bathing, and with a change to her diet, we thought we had cracked it...

With all the weight she's dropped, she has suddenly become very active, so I moved her into the bigger run, so she could bomb it around in there and get nice and fit. On the day that I moved her, she almost immediately started doing nasty sticky poos again. :( So, I bought a panel of MDF and blocked the mesh between her and my buns, incase she was upset by them. She still kept depositing nastiness on the floor all over the run. So, I gave her a load of different types of hay, and decided to let her tummy rest from pellets last night, the only thing she had different was a little of the Ginkgo Naturals mixed into her hay.

Today, her poo is better looking than it has ever been. There's beautiful golden brown beads rolling around everywhere in the run. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I've done something right, I'm just not sure what?! :roll:

Is it the Ginkgo, or could she be allergic to the pellets? Is it possible for her to get diarrhoea from the change in scenery?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Stress can bring on an upset to the digestive system and a change in environment often presents as a factor in this.

That said, some rabbits can find pellets to rich for their nutritional requirements. If she is a great hay eater and has access to a selection of forages and greens maybe removing her pellets long term is the answer.

Thanks Sooz

I did wonder if the pellets were the problem. She has always had a dirty bum problem according to her original owner (she told me she had to bath her weekly:roll: ), but she was on muesli, which I have removed from her diet over the last few weeks.

I give all my buns unlimited access to meadow hay, timmy hay and a daily portion of herbs, catered to what suits them (Mustard only needs to look at parsley and he gets diarrhoea :roll: ).

Thanks again, I might try her with no pellets for a bit, soo how that goes. :thumb:

Back