• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

more advise - bunny not eating - i'm concerned!

twinkle4041

Young Bun
hiya
my bunny doesnt seem to be eating, shes not had her food (stupidly i changed from burgess supa rabbit to pets at home same brand) so not sure if that, but she hasnt touched her kale or carrot, and there is so much hay in there i dont know if shes had a munch on that..
She has been in recently to have her teeth sorted, and has been fine but seems to have stopped eating since i changed her food on sunday, and had her vhd jab on saturday, i dont know if i should be doing something, but not sure what other food i can give her, i am worried as she hasnt touched her kale so it cant just be the pets at home food, shes outside at the moment but i think its going to drop to minus 3 tonight so i dont know what to do for the best...

I was in the same possition last night.......She needs to see the vet but bring her in as its too cold outside for a poorly rabbit but take her into the coolest possible room. More people will give advise soon as i was in a panic last night and still am really and they were very good. she really needs to drink too.

Did you make a transition between the foods? Bunnies need their food changing gradually or it can upset their system. It needs to be slowly changed over a time of roughly around 2 weeks (although some say 10 days, and I normally transition slower than that). If you did it immediately maybe it might be worth getting a small bag of burgess and starting with the transition.

How is her behaviour? Is she is eating hay? Drinking?

more advise bunny not eating

i would say prob yesterday morning, i cant tell there is so much hay in there whether shes eating that, theres plenty of pellets but its so dark when i get in i cant see if theres much poo, and shes never been a big drinker of the water since i got her, i didnt do a slow transition as i thought with it being the same as the burgess and it looks he same. ... this bunny hasnt half given me some worries recently..

I would suggest that the pellets have done this. Even though they look similar they are different and have different amounts of fibre, etc, so will also taste different.

I suggest you bring her in overnight so that you can really see what is going on, and if you feel she is struggling in anyway (i.e. lacking poos- a torch might help you with checking out her hutch), lethargic, in pain, or generally acting different I would suggest calling your vet and seeing what they suggest. Do you have any regular excel you can give her?

i would say prob yesterday morning, i cant tell there is so much hay in there whether shes eating that, theres plenty of pellets but its so dark when i get in i cant see if theres much poo, and shes never been a big drinker of the water since i got her, i didnt do a slow transition as i thought with it being the same as the burgess and it looks he same. ... this bunny hasnt half given me some worries recently..

Have you got an indoor cage so you can bring her inside, you need to make sure she is pooing, whats her favourite food see if you can tempt her. She may need to see an emergency vet, rabbits deteriorate so quickly - Is she sitting hunched up or grinding her teeth. Try to get her to drink water add some warm to it out of the kettle.

bunny not eating

no i had run out, and got this one before xmas, typical working tomorrow and its new years eve goodness knows where i can get burgess tomorrow to try her with that, going to bring her in my just try her bowl with a bit of kale instead..

bunny not eating

Shes inside, shes bounding around her cage, and isnt grinding her teeth or anything, i have put just hay in the bottom of the cage as shes a tendancy to shred newspaper hopefully she will eat some of that, and have just put kale in her bowl instead of the food, i'm in manchester, my dad is unsteady on his feet but he had said he will go and get me some burgess suparabbit from our local vets for me tomorrow, i work in the city and there isnt a pet shop and last week on xmas eve they kept us there until half five so i am hedging my bets the same will happen tomorrow so everywhere will be closed by the time i get there.
Bunny had burrs on her teeth the other week fortunately the insurance paid out as the vet diagnosed her with anorexia too, so if she doesnt improve it will be a continuation of the same condition, but its such a worry with animals when you dont know whats making them ill..
my other bunny cola had a stroke last year and lost the use of one side his head was tilted virtually to the floor but with time and nursing he came through it, and got back to his old self, except we found a lump the size of a small orange which was removed and found to be an aggressive cancer, he lived for another year but eventually was riddled with lumps, and eventually had to be put to sleep then a week later this bunny flopsie fell ill.... these bunnies are all my mums who i also lost to cancer last year and my dad doesnt understand all the running around and worrying i do about these bunnies, but i do it for my mum as much as me but at times i am beside myself with worry when they arent well! they are like kids to me!

bunny not eating - She is now - thankyou for your advise!

hiya
just to let you know bunny is eating you were all right, i think it was a change of the food, she had her kale when she came in and i have got some burgess supa rabbit, hopefully she will have that now, but shes had something and i got some water in her last night, thankyou for your help and advise on here, i really appreciate it...
Happy New Year to you all and your bunnys xxxx

:) Keep an eye on her just to make sure there is nothing else going on, and then when she is stable on this, you can make the transition if you still want to.

Happy new year to you too :)

bunny not eating - She is now - thankyou for your advise!

yes i will, i will try and get her used to the other stuff along with the burgess, but shes definately looking a lot better, i just so worry about them all the time, i love all my children!! thankyou again xxx;)

Back