• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What am I supposed to do with the burrow my rabs have dug in the garden?

senatorvass

Warren Scout
My rabbits have dug a really big burrow in the garden - its mainly one of my does, Angel, who is doing it. Anyway I am not worried they can get out of my garden - where they have dug is at the foot of a big stone wall that goes quite deep. Now though they are coming inwards, as it were, so towards the house and under the lawn bit of the garden. I dont in theory mind holes being dug or anything but I worry about a few things like -

could the earth collapse on them?
could she have babies in it and I wouldnt know? (all my males are neutered but she was around unneutered males before)
will they ever come out? (slightly tongue in cheek with that one, they are in and out all day!)

anyway... I dont want to upset them I am sure they are very pleased with their work and I feel mean filling it in but I want to keep them safe obviously! What's the burrow etiquette?

I am not sure what the solution to your problem is. If I were you I would be very worried about them escaping or about foxes entering the garden. I hope someone else sees your thread and gives you some advice. :wave:

:wave: I used to let mine dig as far as my arm could reach, then I'd fill it in and they'd just start digging a new one. There is always a risk of collapse (I put my foot through one tracking just under the surface once) and it would be awful if they escaped or something happened underground and you didn't know so weren't able to help them. You may find that once she's spayed she doesn't dig quite as much (although she'll probably still want to dig), as the desire to dig so much could well be partly hormone driven. My biggest digger is one of the boys :roll:

When I first had my girls one of them used to love digging burrows. Then one day four little baby buns came hoping out of it. One of my "girls" was a boy.:shock:

I have left them keep their burrow as I feel it's another place for them to run if they sense danger.

Smokey was a champion digger until she was spayed. She now only does it in spates. I tend to let her dig about a foot and then I will fill it in or cover it over.

I know it's just her natural instinct, so I always let her dig a bit first. My mum hates it though.

My rabbits have dug a really big burrow in the garden - its mainly one of my does, Angel, who is doing it. Anyway I am not worried they can get out of my garden - where they have dug is at the foot of a big stone wall that goes quite deep. Now though they are coming inwards, as it were, so towards the house and under the lawn bit of the garden. I dont in theory mind holes being dug or anything but I worry about a few things like -

could the earth collapse on them?
could she have babies in it and I wouldnt know? (all my males are neutered but she was around unneutered males before)
will they ever come out? (slightly tongue in cheek with that one, they are in and out all day!)

anyway... I dont want to upset them I am sure they are very pleased with their work and I feel mean filling it in but I want to keep them safe obviously! What's the burrow etiquette?

My doe did this too .... it started as an escape from the run (i think) but when they were free range she would carry on with it. I let her get so far and then fill it in when she wasn't looking! The next day she went back and undid all my work! So that night I filled it in again and then after that she left that part of the garden alone and went to start digging under the fence (my other rabbit actually escaped into next doors garden!)

So since then, I have placed some netting under the fence and re-done all the 'flower beds' (what were flower beds before the rabbits eat them all!) and now they have gone to digging in pots - which is fine and I let them get on with this to their hearts content!

Back