• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Wires

blaisey

Mama Doe
Argh! Just got new power cables and modem cables for my router since Flopsie managed to chomp through them. Flopsie hasn't even touched it since she chewed through it and hasn't tried to get behind the computer once since it's been switched off.

Do bunnies know when they've destroyed cables? Or do they know when things are switched on and only show interest in them then?

It's a good job she's cute. Cause she's a terror! :lol:

Now, this is interesting, I was only reading up on this yesterday - my bunnsy nibbled through the Xmas lights a couple of times (switched off at the time) It says in the 'why does my rabbit do this?' book that they are drawn to electric cables and seem incapable almost of not chewing them, some people think that this is because they are predisposed to nibble through roots whilst they are digging holes/ burrows. Basically, they just can't help themselves they are irresistible to them ! Therefore I would be incredibly careful about having any live cables anywhere the rabbit has access to. Cables need to be bunny-proofed.

I got aquarium tubing which I sliced along and covered all my wires with. It's solved me a lot of money replacing them all!!! Bit of a faff to begin with but so worth it!

Just make sure and get the thicker tubing as some of the thinner tubing they can chew through in a second anyway

Lola has destroyed so many phone chargers/lap top cables/mouse cables I have lost count. All wires are now covered with cable tidy and then double wrapped in insulation tape and smeared with Vicks!

She still has a chomp though!

Charlie has gone through so many landline phone wires - even when we thought they were out the way. He's also gone through a few at his nannies house too :oops: He doesn't seem to like any other wires.

A couple of friends of mine have had rescue bunnies in the past and one of theirs chewed through an extention wire once (which carry a much higher voltage than speaker cables, chargers etc) and got a nasty shock. It was ok though and never did it again :lol: and Flopsie has only been chewing through ones with low voltage. I found it funny though that once the networking cables had been chewed through and the thin power cables were severed she never bothered with them again.

Someone did mention to me that perhaps she could hear the faint crackle of the voltage and was only bothered then.

I'm interested to hear what other people have to say :)

Rob has threatened Flopsie that if she chews through the router wires again she's out on the streets lol. I don't think she took him seriously at all though, just wiggled her little white nosey at him :lol:

I wonder if they are attracted to the wires because they are live, and they can sense or hear the current passing though them?

No evidence to back this up at all, just a pondering, as I can often hear electrical devices like phone chargers.

ETA: Just read the post above....great minds and all that ;)

MMm, now this is interesting...so they might either be attracted to the live wires and can sense the electricity, or deterred from the live wires as can sense the electricity. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they could hear/sense and even smell electricity, animals are astonishing with things like that and they are such alert animals who use their senses better than we do ! The trouble is we are only going to gain anecdotal evidence on this one, as you most certainly can't set up test situations with live wires and rabbits :shock: My Guinea pigs chewed through the telephone cable 4 times a few years ago, but never chewed any other wire ?!?

I also heard that they are attracted to them as they look like roots/plants.

Tinkerbell isn't interested in them at all in fact she never chews anything :D:angel:

Ogs is a nibbler. I have to make sure all sockets are off so there arnet any live wires or they are completey out of reach for him :roll:

Its a constant battle in our house - Lola is wire crazy. Cables, wires, carpet, wallpaper, rugs, throws, cushions etc.

Roll on Summer when she booger off in the garden all day!:D

Blues been really good......The only thing he seems to go for is playstation controlers. Although I think thats more cause he's not getting any attention. Wireless Ps3 controlers soon solved that though!

Back