• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What conditions affect rabbits? (For research purposed)

vicki267

Mama Doe
Hi all, some of you may know that I'm hoping to start a small sanctuary in 2010 and I'm spending the next year or so saving and researching.

Firstly I feel the most important thing is to know as many health issues as possible (no book I have states everything :roll: )

I do not want massive long posts about what they are, just to make a list so I can do my own research. Good links will be handy though.

Obviously I already know a handful of problems but I'm not going to list my own as I dont want anyone to think they are being patronising listing common ones.

Literally post any health condition that hasn't been posted above you :D

Many Thanks for your help in advance :D

Vicki

There's really no substitute for seeing and dealing with health problems for yourself. Perhaps volunteer at a rescue/sanctuary if there are any nearby?

There isn't anything local to me, only places about 20 or so miles out either way.

plus the RSPCA that is most local (prob still about 15-20 miles away) were very rude about me fostering once saying they didnt need anyone and wouldn'd do that anyway :roll:

I cant work anywhere near dogs as I'm allergic to them :roll:

I hope that as I go I will gain experience, as I did with Stitch being blind. However when he choked I didn't know how to do bunny heimlich and since then would like to know a little about most things and widen my knowledge as I go.

Hopefully a reference to things will help.

Sooz that link is fab, have added it to my favourites :D

I think the best thing would be to hang around the rabbit care discussion boards for a while, as everyone couldn't list everything.

I have to say I have learnt a lot from the boards, and now Im THE most paranoid bunny mummy!!

But I do think the two biggest to look out for are dental problems and gut stasis. Just because dental problems can have lots of symptoms, i.e. eye gunge, drooling. and gut stasis can affect a bunny very quickly.

I lost my Simba in a matter of days to Pneumonia :(

Started on the Sunday with a terribly snotty nose and he had to be PTS on the Thursday.

I think it is very important to get respiratory problems dealt with urgently as they can quickly develop to something very serious.

Illnesses for research

Hi, :wave:I'm new but have had rabbits before, sadly not always healthy ones! Forgive me if I am stating the obvious but Pasturella has been a problem to us in the past. In one rabbit manifesting as respiratory problems and another in the forming of absesses, many rabbits are carriers - it having passed to them in the nest from their mothers - but no symptoms show until they are "low" or put under some sort of stress eg new home. I have been surprised when speaking to other rabbit owners in the past who have never heard of it!

There isn't anything local to me, only places about 20 or so miles out either way.

plus the RSPCA that is most local (prob still about 15-20 miles away) were very rude about me fostering once saying they didnt need anyone and wouldn'd do that anyway :roll:

I cant work anywhere near dogs as I'm allergic to them :roll:

I hope that as I go I will gain experience, as I did with Stitch being blind. However when he choked I didn't know how to do bunny heimlich and since then would like to know a little about most things and widen my knowledge as I go.

Hopefully a reference to things will help.

Sooz that link is fab, have added it to my favourites :D

You'd be very welcome to come and spend the day here with me at mine. Whilst I am not a rescue in my own right, I do foster for ARC and have 17 of my own rescue buns. I would be happy to go over how they all come to be with me and all the ailments that they have suffered and the things that you might well face. I worked for/helped to run a rescue for just over a year until it stopped rescuing full time, so I could help answer quite a lot of your questions I am sure.

I actually have bunnies here at present who are having medical attention and one of the 'fosters' who is very poorly and is having assorted tests to again, something you could well face.

I am not too far away if you wanted to come for a whole day. M3 J3.

You could also come to our rabbit event on the 24th January in the village hall. We will have a very rabbit savvy vet with her practice stand, members of ARC rescue and a volunteer from Reading Rabbits with masses of 'manky' rabbit expertise, and a whole lot more. Plus, there will be loads of RU members coming along to meet and chat to.

PM me if you are interested.
Helen

You'd be very welcome to come and spend the day here with me at mine. Whilst I am not a rescue in my own right, I do foster for ARC and have 17 of my own rescue buns. I would be happy to go over how they all come to be with me and all the ailments that they have suffered and the things that you might well face. I worked for/helped to run a rescue for just over a year until it stopped rescuing full time, so I could help answer quite a lot of your questions I am sure.

I actually have bunnies here at present who are having medical attention and one of the 'fosters' who is very poorly and is having assorted tests to again, something you could well face.

I am not too far away if you wanted to come for a whole day. M3 J3.

You could also come to our rabbit event on the 24th January in the village hall. We will have a very rabbit savvy vet with her practice stand, members of ARC rescue and a volunteer from Reading Rabbits with masses of 'manky' rabbit expertise, and a whole lot more. Plus, there will be loads of RU members coming along to meet and chat to.

PM me if you are interested.
Helen

That's a really good idea, I didn't think of visiting a few rescues on here for a day etc.

Unfortunately I cant do anything during Jan, hence why I wont even be looking for my new bun until feb but will PM you now so that we can keep in touch :D

Dont worry about stating the obvious, just getting a list together is all I need for now. For example when Stitch died he choked, and although no common or an ongoing problem I like to do my research on these issues and now know personally what to do if a bun chokes, I wasted valuable time on the phone to my vets when if it should ever happen in the future I would get them straight to the nearest vet (which isn't mine).

It is also so I can ensure I purchase correct equipment and have the correct layout for certain buns i.e. 3 legs or resp probs.

Cheers for all the help so far, if I have any specific questions will start a new thread :D

Vicki

Back