• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My recently neutered rabbit mated with my un-spayed female....what to do??

GabrielleB

Warren Scout
Hi,
My male rabbit got neutered on the 15th of this month, and I though I might introduce him back to my female (in an outside run where they could have proper contact, not just between bars) and they were alright for a while, then they started trying to mount each other, more so my female was trying to mount my male, I thought oh yea theres no harm in that, she cant get him pregnant lol! Butttt I STUPIDLY turned my back on them to hang up some washing that my dad bought out for me, and when I turned back 5 seconds later, he had mounted her, and they were mating :S So....heres my question....do you think she could become pregnant because of this? I heard that male rabbits stay fertile for a while after they have been desexed, its only been 15 days....so what do you think the odds are? I dont want more babies, so do you think I should just spay my female...just to be sure? any help is much appreciated :)

Yeah she could be pregnant i think it's something like 6-8 weekks and his hormones wll still be raging.
You could opt for an emergencry spay. This is not an abortion if done quickly as the babas wouldn't have formed yet.

Thanks spider :) I think I will call the vet now and see when I can make an appointment.....I really dont want any more babies lol, the last litter was a disaster, thats when I thought no more, I'm never going to breed again :D

Thanks for the other link, I am going to get my bun done on monday :D The operation was going to cost $160, but I got a voucher from the local shelter for $75, so I was really happy about that :D But yea monday at 8:30 :D

Well done for making the responsible choice. :) I hope all goes well on Monday.

I'm sure you have now worked out that it is safer to not put buns together if there is a risk of pregnancy. A male can 'do the deed' within a couple of seconds, so even if you had been watching you may not have managed to prevent him.

Let us know how he does on Monday.

Yea I'm kicking myself for letting it happen.....I'll be sure to tell you how it all goes when she comes back from the vet on monday :)....Oh and I have another question, how long is the recovery from a spaying?? Do they use stitches or glue?? What is involved with the spaying? Is it like with dogs; they remove the uterus and ovaries? or something else? How long after she is fixed is it safe to put her with my male? or should I just wait the 6-8 (after the male was fixed) weeks to put them together? any help greatly appreciated :D

Domino and I just got back from the vet, turns out she was pregnant, but I went ahead with the desxing as planned, shes a bit groggy at the moment but seems to being doing fine :D Also, she got a tat from the operation, but my male didnt, is it only females that get tats? :)

Back