• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny and an open fireplace!

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
We have a real open fire in our living room and untill recently bunny had never been anywhere near it. However the other day he jumped straight in (it wasnt lit!), dug about in the coal bits then proceded to leave black foot prints all over my cream rug.

I am now worried that he would be stupid enough to jump in whilst it is lit! He is never left unsupervised in the room but should I get a fire guard to be on the safe side? How does everyone else keep bunny away from their fireplaces?

I think you need a fireguard hun.
Poppets learnt not to bother with ours via the dog and cat but then again ours isnt real either.

Yeh I think i will get one to be on the safe side. He has never been anywhere near it while its on but I wouldnt want to take the risk. Im having nightmares of me leaping from the sofa as he sits in the flames!!!

Lexie was stupid enough to eat a lit candle and singe all her whiskers so I would certainly take precautions with a full fire.

Yeah id get a fireguard too... though it'd still get hot with an open fire, but better than bunny getting burned :( :(

We have an open fire, but its like... fake coal? Gas :) Ronnie doesnt think twice about taking the coals off and running round the room with them :roll: Hes so naughty. Luckily our fire is mainly for show as heating is on constantly :) xXx

Lexie was stupid enough to eat a lit candle and singe all her whiskers so I would certainly take precautions with a full fire.

:shock::shock::shock::shock: Oh my goodness Sooz, poor Lexie :cry:

One of our buns keeps taking the coals of the fire & playing with them :shock:, we don't have it on & leave them unattended - but I'm certainly going to have to buy a fire guard to stop this :shock:

we have a fire guard. I would never have a fire on without is as mine do mad binkies and I worry they might accidently end up in it......It's always around the fireplace too when they are in the room as I know someones who's bunny tried to find out where santa was and hopped up into the chimney and got stuck.. The fire brigade were nearly called.

:shock::shock::shock::shock: Oh my goodness Sooz, poor Lexie :cry:
:shock:

She was OK, she did it last Christmas.....I don't think it would stop her doing it again either so all candles are burnt off bunny level now.

Was a bit embaressing to explain to the vets though, I felt like some kind of bunny abuser :oops::oops:.

Even when our fire isn't on the fireplace still poses a hazard for our escape artist Daisy. We noticed she was eyeing up the chimney one night and before we could stop her she had jumped up and inside the chimney :shock:
Mark managed to get her out safely pretty quickly but we discovered that there was a gap down the side of the fireplace which she could easily have fallen into. Now whenever the buns are downstairs we always have the fireguard out whether the fire is on or not!!

We have a woodburner, and although Squidgy likes to sit in front o fit when it's on, he never gets to close. When it's not on he likes to run around the back of it :roll:
We do have a fire guard though, just in case.

Back