• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very worried about Millie.....

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
Here is some brief background history first:

Millie has been Flopsy's companion for the last 18 months. She came from a local breeder and was an ex show rabbit. We got her by chance soon after we lost poor Willow to an unrecoverable respiratory illness. Ironically Millie is also a black female Rex of about the same age as Willow and Flopsy (3 yrs)! It took some getting used to as she obviously looked very similar to Willow. They eventually bonded and she has always been very healthy and active.

Over the last couple of weeks, she has not seemed herself and has been sitting around outside alot on her own. I did not pay too much attention until yesterday when I noticed that she seemed to be 'rocking' quite a bit when she was sat still. This immediately triggered alarm bells, as I first noticed this with Willow and it was her laboured breathing.

I quickly went to pick her up and was quite shocked that she felt a lot lighter than she used to. I rang the vet first thing this morning and got her in for a 4pm appointment. She weighed 3.2kg, which was the same weight Willow was when I took her in :shock: I took Flopsy too and he was 3.9kg. He's overweight and has obviously been eating the food that Millie has not touched. They share a double hutch and run, so it's impossible to tell who is eating what without splitting them up.

The vet is saying the same things he said when we took Willow in. It could be Pneumonia or another respiratory illness. Her temp was a bit down and they gave her Baytrill & Metacam injections. We also have bottles of the same to give orally. We are taking her back in on Wednesday to see if any progress has been made.

The scary thing now is that unlike with Willow, we could not afford rabbit insurance this time. Willow suffered for nearly two months and the vets bills were well over £500. At the end of it all she still had to be put to sleep. Money is a big problem now. I was debating whether or not to get her x-rayed, but weighed up the health risks and at this stage decided to see how she gets on with the treatments.

She is out of the shed and in our kitchen for now so we can monitor her and keep her out of the cold.

Poor Millie :cry:
I hope she responds to antibiotics. Is she spayed? If not then sadly you do need to consider adenocarcinoma (cancer spread from the uterus to the lungs):cry:
I do hope that Millie can make a good recovery.

Jack's-Jane, no she is not spayed. We wanted to get her done but just could not find the money to do it. Willow was already done, as she was a rescue. This is getting more worrying by the minute....

Hopefully it will just be an infection and she will respond to the medication. If all is OK after treatment, you should consider having her spayed asap.

Sending her some get well vibes.

it's cheaper to buy insurance and let insurance pay for the vet bill than you paying the vet bill, in which it will be a lot higher than vet insurance itself.

you guys are lucky to have the option of vet insurance, over here in Canada, there is no option to buy vet insurance for rabbits, only dogs & cats

Jack's-Jane, no she is not spayed. We wanted to get her done but just could not find the money to do it. Willow was already done, as she was a rescue. This is getting more worrying by the minute....

Oh dear.....................

I really hope it is infection. If her breathing has not improved at all after 48 hours on abx I would advise contacting the Vet again.
A more heavy duty abx may be needed (if its infection) and sometimes fluid builds up in the lungs so a shot or two of diuretic may help shift it.

No better today. She hardly touched her food/hay/water overnight. She still seems quite alert though. I have to take her back to the vets tomorrow. I don't know what they will say. I can't afford £50 for x-rays. It's already cost £50 so far.

No better today. She hardly touched her food/hay/water overnight. She still seems quite alert though. I have to take her back to the vets tomorrow. I don't know what they will say. I can't afford £50 for x-rays. It's already cost £50 so far.

Unfortunately for some, a part of taking on a pet is taking on any vet bills.
I dont get insurance as it is not worth it with around 30 buns, a recent bun has since being here 4 weeks, cost £500. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't have the pet. Harsh i know, but this is where people like me usually have to come in and mop up the mess when people admit financial defeat.

Maybe if you speak to your vets, they may let you set up a "payment plan" say where you pay off X amount every say few weeks/month.

If money is an issue could you possible take out a credit card? Most are interest free for 12 month of have short time offers, if you could provide cash later. If not maybe family or friends could offer support, my rabbit is not insured and I hope i will not have to but i do understand how expensive medicine and xrays are after my friends rabbit going through them (luckily only for precautions, nothing serious).

Rabbits, and anything else, are so important that money should be irrelevant. I know my car could be scrapped as its fixing costs are more than its worth but a pet is so different so I can understand the strain if must put on you emotionally nevermind financially.

I really hope your bun is fine!! sending good get better vibes!!

As previously suggested try asking your Vet if you can pay in instalments.
If Millie is not improving on abx then more diagnostics are needed. If this is out of the question financially and there is no alternative then, sorry to be blunt, but humane euthenasia may be needed. Otherwise Millie will suffer greatly and I know you dont want that.

I really would urge you to discuss the financial situation with your Vet. Many will agree to a payment plan.
Sending Millie lots of vibes and I do hope she can recover.

Last edited:
Hi, sending tons of vibes for Millie.
As others have said, do speak to your vet about a payment plan. Our vet (we are very lucky) actually had a part in their newsletter for December about speaking to them about payment plans etc rather than let a pet go without treatment ( I know this is not the case here and you are treating and care deeply about Millie) so fingers crossed other vets too may be more helpful about spreading the cost of treatment.
Otherwise do you have a credit card it could be put on? We are tight for money too which is not ideal with 13 rabbits that we have but we do have a credit card spare for emergencies.
If you can work it out with a vet an xray would help so much wouldnt it to show whats going on? I hope you can work something out. Thinking of you x

Took her in again today. Temperature was ok, but breathing still not right and lungs sounded crackly and congested. Just a topup of baytrill and the vet asked me to bring her back in 7 days. They must have made a mistake, because they only billed me £3.75 on my debit card. Still, that's a much needed bonus. She is still not eating hardly anything, but I will keep her indoors and monitor her.

I'm not very happy about people jumping to conclusions about taking on pets without being able to afford to pay vets bills/insurance :evil: My personal circumstances have changed dramatically over the last 12 months. This has been out of my control. From having one large wage plus a part time wage, I now have only a part time wage coming in and I can't get credit anyway. It's hard enough just making ends meet.

I'm glad her temperature was improved. I hope she gets even better soon. Maybe your vets are being nice like mine are to me sometimes where they dont charge another consultation fee for an animal they're already treating? They may have just charged you for the baytril. :)

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I'm going to highlight what Jane said about stronger antibiotics and diuretics. They saved one of my buns (although that was different circumstances). Baytril is pretty ineffective against most infections now, unfortunately.

Please keep us uptodate.

x

Back