• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help need advise.....

angieb

Mama Doe
I have been out to feed my 2 rabbits and bunny wasn't interested.......I observed her for a while and she had 1 little nibble.
She ate yesterday but had some spring greens and was fine. she always has some kind of veg daily and has been fine upto now.

I brought her into the utility room to check her over and she had a dirty bum. i have taken all the hard poo off and there is little wet on her fur. I have been watching her now for a while and she is sat in her toilet in her run.

She has some energy but she let me clean her and she doesn't useually let me pick her up, I dont know whether she knew i was helping or she cant be bothered to fight me. At first she did go to attack me and then she let me pick her up.

What can i do to help her? Do i leave the food in the cage or just hay? i have put more hay in her dish and some next to her toilet.

I cant get to the vets with her till at least wednesday as i have a disabled daughter of 7 a 3 year old and a baby of 18mths and my partner is working away till wednesday.

Any advise pleeeeease..........

please help......

When i have looked in her toilet there is no runny poo in there. I am just trying to get her to drink?

I dont want to stress her out by bringing her in, as shes an outdoor bunny but its freezing!!!!!!! plus she dosn't like coming in.

Her tummy feels normal and isn't hard or empty.

Should i bring her in for a run around in the utility or will that make her worse when she goes back out? The utility is the coolest room.

Just tried her with some water and she ran so fast from me! I think she thought i was gonna pick her up again. She has a water bottle but i tried her with a dish and no joy either.......I daren't leave the dish in as its too cold for her to spil it everywhere

Hang in there - someone with the right experience will read this and should be able to offer good advice. If she were my bun, I think I'd risk bringing her indoors where I could keep a close eye on her as they can go downhill very quickly. Do you have any Fibreplex or Infacol you can give her? These would help to disperse any gas and to introduce the right bacteria into her system. It's also possible she has painful teeth so they'll need to be checked although the fact that she has a dirty bum suggests digestive problems.

I'd cut out the greens and feed hay and minimal pellets, although if greens are all she'll eat, then let her as it's more important to get food into her than nothing at all. I realise you have problems getting to the vet but you'll need to get her there as soon as possible.

Hope she picks up soon.

I'm no expert but I think she needs a vet :?

Is there someone who could babysit for you for an hour or perhaps someone who could take her to the vet for you?

You really do need to get her to a vet asap.

Can someone take her for you if you can't go yourself?

Meanwhile try to keep her warm, chasing her round may help get her gut moving (has she passed poo recently) and try to tempt her with food again.

You really do need to get her to a vet asap.

Can someone take her for you if you can't go yourself?

Meanwhile try to keep her warm, chasing her round may help get her gut moving (has she passed poo recently) and try to tempt her with food again.

Should i bring her in for a while but the problem is i cant keep her in all night and i'll be worried to put her back out in the cold........It would have to be freezing tonight :(

Rabbits can go downhill very quickly; if she's not eating she'll need to go to the vets now; otherwise she may not see Wednesday .

TAKE HER TO THE VET NOW.

Sorry for caps but I just lost Middy today through GI stasis. Don't wait.

Your Rabbit needs Veterinary attention.
Could a friend or neighbour take her, or Babysit for you whilst you take her?

Meantime Bun must be indoors. If she is poorly she wont be able to maintain her temperature and could easily succumb to hypothermia :cry:

Please do try to get your Rabbit the Veterinary Treatment she needs. Sadly Wednesday could well be too late :cry:

Sorry i really have to agree.
I too recently lost a bun to GI stasis, she was at the vets and passed away.

Not saying its this, but please get her to the Vets.

Please, please, please take your little girl to vets urgently - she needs to see a vet that can hopefully help her - it might be too late if you leave things any longer. Sending her vibes to be well soon xxx

I have got her inside in a huge box. i put a fleece cover in the bottom as with the frost it is a little damp. Thankfully since we put it out it hasn't rained.

Since the first time i picked her up to clean her she now runs away from me and grunts at me as she hates it. I managed to catch her and get her inside but as soon as she sees me she freezes! She has moved as she's trying to get out and the fleece has been scratched up.So at least she is trying to get out. Still no sign of her eating and i'm worried that the waterdish will get knocked over!!! But she may have to settle in first cause i think she a little stressed.

Anyway i spoke to the vet and he advised all that you all have. I dont think you understand how disabled my daughter is. Nobody apart from a trained person can look after her as she has major medical needs as in a tracheostomy gastrostomy and has epilepsy. We dont have any care apart from a lady who looks after her now and again when we go out and i rang her but she's already on a night shift with another little girl. I also dont know anybody near here who could take bunny to the vets for me as we moved away from our home town about a year ago because of the house prices there and the house we now live in is perfect for my daughter.

Sorry to go on but i really do want to take bunny to the vets tonight but its totally impossible.:cry: I will take her tomorrow morning as the lady is coming straight from her night shift to watch my children for me. I do realise how urgent this is but there is seriously nothing i can do.:cry: I am crying here writing this as its typical cause my partner NEVER works away but he works for a private ambulance service and they were desperate....:cry::cry: I just hope she lasts the night and first thing i will ring the vets and get her therre. She is very stressed and hates me at the moment..........:cry:

Last edited:
just creeped in and she was grooming herself until she saw me. This has got to be a good sign???????????:?

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you & your bun, hope everything will be ok & that she recovers - at least she is taking an interest in grooming herself, please keep us updated as to how she's doing & when you've been to the vet tomorrow. Sending you a hug too hun, take care xx

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you & your bun, hope everything will be ok & that she recovers - please keep us updated as to how she's doing & when you've been to the vet. Sending you a hug too hun, take care xx
Thankyou I feel really bad as i know how poorly rabbits go quick, I am just crossing my fingers and toes.

thinking about you and your bun
it must be hard for you with your daughters illness its good you have a lady to come round in the morning:D

let us now how you and bun get on:wave:

It must be very difficult for you.

Keep her nice and warm. Try to get her to take some water and leave some food round to tempt her.

Try the water either cooled boiled or add a dash in the cold so it is room temperature, mine seem to prefer it this way.

Sending her some eating and pooping vibes. I hope she will be OK.

The bun needs to force feed. This is very simple. Get any non-meat baby food or milupa

http://www.milupa.com/

use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

You can also force feed small amt. of water

If you leave the dish the way it is, even if she kicks it off, you can re-fill it. You can check every 2 hr. to see if the dish is full

Back