• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nutmeg/carry on with monthly dentals?

fiona3

Warren Scout
I have just had my little rabbit Nutmeg in for his 3rd Dental in 3 months. I caught it in time this time before he completely stopped eating. Unfortunatley it was xmas eve. He was bright and still eating a little so i waited until Saturday and got an emergency appointment at my vets. Still eating a little that day.

He advised syringe feeding him Fiberplex , gave him a painkiller injection, gut stimulant and oral zantac. He desperatly wanted his dinner when i put it in for him and his pal but just couldnt eat it.

I took him in today to have his dental done, It was planned for tomorrow, more than 5 days after first symtoms. The vet has just called and said he fitted him in today. Nutmeg had xrays and his back molars grow inwards. This wont ever be corrected with diet. He had a G.A today although was sedated for last dental.(Found this out through vet on saturday when asked about GA and sedation)

He spoke about noticing when teeth were starting to bother him. I noticed immediately . Diet- they are on a good diet of high fibre pellets hay etc. He said his breed (lop) are prone to dental problems. I knew this but took him anyway.(rescued). He didnt have any problems until he was 1 year old. Im not sure where he was going with the conversation.

3 days before his symptoms appeared again he was running around his run at 90mph kicking his heels. On saturday he was tearing up a crisp box and throwing his dishes around. He even gave a little mini binkey when i went to check on him. So i think he has good quality of life. He has a massive run and a huge hutch. The vet said he is in good condition and not underweight.

I just got the feeling he was asking me wether i want to carry on with the dentals as he said thats once a month now.:? Not sure if he was hinting at the cost or Nutmegs quality of life! He was hinting at something. I did ask him on the phone "what are you getting at" in a nice way!:) But he didnt get to the point.

He did say its not unusual for 6 weeks . I am happy to pay for the dentals every month, and told the vet this. I said i want to carry on and see how things go. Nutmeg is just over 1 year old.

I will speak to the vet tomorrow properly, but i got the feeling he was questioning his quality of life and hinting at putting him to sleep. Maybe not/maybe just wether i want to pay the bill every month! Paranoia!

I know having this treatment every month isnt good for him. The vet says he is young and healthy apart from this, but this problem isnt going to go away.

I am now questioning if i am right to keep doing the dentals. I will keep them up and see what happens, i guess i need some opinions from you guys.

I did tell him about this forum and that i have read that lots of rabbits have dentals monthly. I couldnt put him to sleep. He is so young and such a happy little bun when his teeth arent bothering him.

Any opinions and experience from you guys would help me a lot tonight:(

Hi there, sorry to hear your little Nutmeg has on going dental problems & I know you'll be worried what to do for the best. All you can do is weigh up the pros & cons & make a decision thats right for both you & Nutmeg.

My house rabbit Toby is 4.5 years old Lionhead & has had to have dentals every 6 weeks since he was about a year old, caused not by bad diet but by bad breeding. My biggest cause for concern was "am I doing the right thing putting him through this " & the answer then & now for Toby is YES. Apart from his teeth, he is a fit, happy, loving little rabbit who thoroughly enjoys life. Yes, he does have to go through the trauma of going into the vets every 6 weeks & having a G A but next day, he behaves as if nothing has happened.

My second concern was " can I afford it " after at it does work out to be a big financial commitment. It was alright when I had a well paid job but now I have have a limited income I've had to change my life style to accomodate the vets bills but for me this wasn't a problem.

I think you are right to carry on with dentals & see how they go, after all its really what I'm doing. While Toby is happy & healthy & can cope with them, I'll keep having them done.

I don't know if you have serveral vets at your practice but try & keep with the same vet for all the dentals as they will get to know the usual condition of Nutmegs mouth & teeth & be aware of any changes.

Good luck to you & little Nutmeg

I too have a dental bunny and he has to have his done every 4 weeks. My vet will do conscious dentals so my bunny is not put through GA/Sedation too often. It works well for my rabbit and he has been having them for over a year now and is a very happy little man.

Please note that there are risks with both GA and conscious dentals (if you find a vet that will do them) and you would have to weigh everything up. Also conscious they may need them doing a little sooner too as it would not be as thorough as one under GA. Having said that it made no difference in time when Homer had a GA to a conscious one.

Nutmeg and dentals

I read both your posts this morning at work and they helped me make the decision to keep on with the dentals as long as i think he has a good quality of life. I will ask the vet his opinion tomorrow, but he is my pet and much loved and cared for so i know if its all too much for him.

When i read your two posts it seemed to put it all into perspective for me. The alternative to not having dentals is to PTS. I wont do this as long as he is happy and otherwise healthy. I spoke to some folk at work and they agree, carry on and see how it goes.

Sadly Nutmeg didnt come home from vets this morning as he is still not eating after his Dental. They are keeping him in another night and are syringe feeding him and fingers crossed i will get him back tomorrow morning. Frankly im dreading calling the vet in the morning. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Helped a lot.
nutmeg.jpg

Sorry that he had to stay in at the vets, its such a worry when they're not eating. Ahh, he looks a really little sweetie, I'm sure he'll start tucking into his food soon.

I remember Toby was reluctant to eat after one of his first dentals but he simply loves the leaves on broccali. So there was me & my fiance,
1 o'clock in the morning at a 24 hour Tescos, picking over the broccali & pulling off the leaves. Toby soon started eating again after being offered his favourite treat.

It was suggested to me that after a dental I should damp his food pellets to make them soft & easier to eat but Toby just turns his nose up hops away, kicking up his heels in disgust. However my friends rabbit seemed to prefer her food pellets dampened after her dentals.

I'll be thinking of you both & hope all go's well.

One of my buns needs her molars doing every fortnight. She usually has them done conscious and is home and eating straight afterwards.

What a cutie. Glad our messages helped. You know your bunny best and if he is happy and not suffering I say go for it. I was very lucky that the vet who was covering for my normal one who was on holiday turned out to be an exotics expert and said he could do conscious dentals as I don't think Homer could cope with ongoing monthly GA.

It might be worth you planning ahead and seeing if anyone can recommend a vet who is competent with conscious dentals near to you.

Homer too comes straight home and starts to eat straight away normally after a conscious one.

Sending him some eating vibes.

Nutmeg is home

Thanks for all your advice and stories. Nutmeg is home tonight and has been eating a little spring green, tiny thin slither of carrot and a grape. :D

He looked a bit miserable at first as i have him inside tonight(too cold here after being at vets for two days) so i brought in his girlfriend for 1/2hour to see him. He was like a new bunny! Running around after her,honking and trying to get frisky.(pointless as he been neutered!)

Just shows you that when they are bonded to another rabbit they do much better. I can pet him all night but he perked up instantly Clover came inside!

I let them party for a little while and Nutmeg was running around like nothing has happened. I had to put Clover back outside as the house is too warm-not fair to keep her in the warm too long then put her back outside in the cold. He has had his meds for the night and is sitting quietly. I can relax tonight without worrying about him. Happy new year.:D

Happy New Year, glad to hear little Nutmeg is back home, feeling frisky & had a bit of a munch.

Perhaps when Nutmeg goes for his next dental Clover could go in & stay with him to keep him company. Having his girlfriend there should make it less stressful for him & would probably will encourage him to eat.

Toby is booked in for his regular dental on Wednesday. I used to take him into see the vet for a checkup & then arrange for him to have his dental in a day or twos time. But that meant putting Toby through the stress of 2 visits to the vet. Now days I ring up & book him in for the checkup & surgery for the same day. I have a morning appointment for the checkup & he is kept in to have his dental later that day.

One good thing about having a rabbit who's a regular at the vets is the staff get to know you & the rabbit & you & the rabbit get to know them, so it doesn't feel you're leaving him with a bunch of strangers.

Good luck for the New Year.

Back