• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eyes inflamed- new drops needed

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi
my bunn suffers with sore eyes which we think is due to molar spurs. He has had this problem for a long time and it was just one but both are now sore. They have been flushed several times and one is blocked, this doesn't seem to help any. The third eye lids are swollen and they look red. he is fine in himself. We\have tried tiacil, exocin and fulthithalmic(sorry for spelling) but none do much good. The only time the eyes have loked good is when he had a steroid injection for another complaint and the eyes looked great! my vet wondered if we could try another eye drop that had steroid in it but she had never used anything like that before on rabbits so i would like to know if anyone on here has tried anything different with success.
thanks
lisa

Hi Lisa:wave:

Our beloved Rhia was on the Maxitrol and as you know, her eyes where a right mess - she needed the third eyelids removing and it was the first time we had ever seen her eyes:love::love::love: Such a beautiful girl:love:

Rhia still needed eyedrops over the years and Maxitrol where the only ones that ever helped her:D

thanks jane and Jay!
I am printing off the info on it and shall show my vet. It certyainly sounds worth trying. I hate to see his eyes looking so sore all the time although I know they could be alot worse.
Jay was it tooth roots causing Rhia's problem?

since the cause is the tooth growing upwards, you should remove that tooth under surgery.

For the time being, you can use natural tear drop on the bunny's eyes, as many times as you want, it's perfectly okay to drop it on his eyes. It does not solve the problem, but the moisture makes their eyes more comfy.

I have use it before on Bernie when there is a piece of fur stuck on his eyes. I drop enough eye drop for it to flush the fur off his eyes.

The brand name I use is called Allergan Refresh Celluvisc, there is no preservative in the substance.

I have used Maxitrol with good results too. My rabbit had very bad tooth roots and she got a chronic infection in her eyes which became very inflamed. Maxitrol were the only drops that helped. She was on them for about 3/4 years which is not recommended but it was either that or she would have been in pain. She developed cateracts after a while because that is a side effect of long term use :( Also if they get a scratch or ulcer on the eye you have to stop the drops straight away because the steroid can make it worse.

I used tear drops like happy hopping has said too. They were good for cleaning the eyes and flushing any gunk out :D The ones I used were Viscotears.

Back