• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potential new bunny dilemma..UPDATE

littlehayley

Young Bun
I recently posted in rainbow bridge about my rabbit Harvey, who was PTS just before Christmas. I've been keeping a close eye on his friend Lily to make sure she's not getting too depressed, and although she's eating and drinking ok I think she's definitely in need of a new friend. She's not as confident on her own and tends to just stay in her hutch.

I had a look at rabbit rehome, and noticed a little bunny who looks adorable. The problem is that due to previous neglect he has very bad teeth which need to be clipped by the vet every 6 weeks or so. He also needs his back teeth doing, so I assume this could also be a regular thing. As all this is pre-existing and is related to teeth it will obviously not be covered by insurance, so I'm looking at about £6 a time for front teeth and then about £60 if he needs his back teeth doing again too.

Part of me thinks I'm silly for considering taking on a bunny with health problems, but then another part of me thinks that there's no guarrantee on the health of any rabbit. Any bunny I take on could easily develop ongoing health problems which could be expensive. . .

Does anyone have a rabbit with teeth problems, who could give me an idea of how much it costs them? The front teeth costing £6 every 6 weeks is not too bad, I'm just worried how often the back teeth would need doing if it's going to cost £60 a time?!

Help!

Hayley

Last edited:
One of my bunnies had to have his back teeth done about 18 months ago and hasn,t had to have them done since:D

i have two bunnies who had to have front teath done every 4 weeks. they eventually had them removed they were so bad. it cost £15 every 4 week to get them burred which is better for the teeth than clipping as clipping can sometimes splinter them. it cost approx £70 per rabbit when they had them removed. i also have a rabbit who is 8 1/2 who had to have his back teeth done once but also my bridge bunny mop who lived to be 8 and had to have his back teeth done every 3 months for his whole life :?
i agree you never know even if a rabbit is fine at time of adoption,it may go on to develop teeth problems later but if you are aware of the problems already you have to think about how much this may cost you for the rest of its life.
tracey

thanks mopsmum

Did your bunny who needed his back teeth done every 3 months need an anesthetic every time? Just wondering whether it's possible to cut down on the risk of anesthetics and also on the cost by having it done concious.

thanks mopsmum

Did your bunny who needed his back teeth done every 3 months need an anesthetic every time? Just wondering whether it's possible to cut down on the risk of anesthetics and also on the cost by having it done concious.

yes he always had anesthetic. it cost approx £60 to £90 depending on how many teeth needed doing at the time. i think anestheteic is probably a big chunk of the price and would definatly save you money if you can find a vet who will do it without.

I have three dental bunnies at the moment. The ones with molar problems always have to have a GA to burr them down and this costs me anywhere between £60 and £120.

The one who had incisoral maloclussion used to cost £15 for a conscious burr but I have since had his incisors removed (at a cost of £130)....this may be an option for your rabbit.

You are right about bunnies developing problems that you cannot predict, my vets estimate about 80% of the bunnies they see will probably need at least one dental in their lifetime.

thanks for all the advice, I think perhaps I should speak to my vet and see what they would charge, and whether they'd do it without anesthetic.

thanks

Hayley

It can vary a lot so talking to your vet is a good idea.

One of my rabbits has dental problems and it costs around £70-80 to burr her molars - can't work it out exactly cos she sometimes has extra stuff doen at the same time.

*but* since cutting down her pellets and making sure she eats hay, hay and more hay, she has gone form having them every two months, to every five months.

It will be more of a strain on your finances taking on this little one but if you can afford it, I would say go for it - you will be doing a good thing because he will have more trouble finding a home due to his teeth. Let us know how it goes :wave:

I've decided to leave it in Lily's hands and take her to meet him. If she decides she likes him then I'm sure he'll be worth every penny :)

Hayley

I have 3 dental buns!
Blackie who had his front teeth clipped every 4 weeks at £5 and then removed at £60 (which has made his life soooo...muc easier)

Skye who has had one dental to her back teeth one month ago (due to her being a bad hay eater)

And Fudge my bun who gets a dental to her back teeth every 6-8 weeks costing £58.96 every time!

They are all brother and sister and 1 year old! It costs a lot of money but i know with me they have a better chance of life as im willing to pay this!

As u said no bun comes with a 100% gurantee they have no health probs later in life!

It is a hard choice to make but if you can afford the money then i say go for him!

Good luck:D:D

We went to Avon small animal rescue today with Lily and she got on with Harry straight awway so I decided to adopt him. They snuggled up together in the carrier all the way home and now they're hopping round the garden together :)

Back