• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit has the squits

tracey1986

New Kit
hi,
i know it is not normal for my rabbit to wave watery pooh, and i believe this has happened due to food in high protein(which she will not be having again!!)i have limited her food to just hay and she has a bowl of water and i am cleaning her regular.....she has been like this all day and it is still going, what should i do and what are the health implications of this as she is a slightly underweight rabbit as it is and she is only 6months old...
please help!!

Oh gosh, i really don't want to give you the wrong advise but i would recommend a vet trip.
Is she lethargic at all?
Eating okay?
What food did you give her?

rabbit muesli but she also has pellets but she is ok with pellets. she has had runny poo before but nothing like this!!!bless her she hasnt moved from her toilet so i have put a bowl of water and some hay in there too,she does seem a little stressed out but i really aint suprised!!she is drinking now but not really touched her hay aside from that she wont move from her toilet!!:( awww feel so sorry for her!!

So when you mean watery poo is it watery or just sludgy?
It could be down to constant switching of food.
Rabbits have very delicate tumtums. I'd stick to some good quality pellets, then she wouldn't have to keep having to digest the different foods.
Apparently strawberry plant is good for sticky bums, if you're experiencing that.
If she were my bun, i'd keep doing what you are, maybe keep her inside, and comfort her, her body is going through alot with the interferance with her stomach. Clean her up regularyly to keep are fresh and clean and make sure she eats and drinks.
Have you got timothy hay? That's very scrummeh for bunnies.
I wouldn't take any risks so talk to the vets and get yourself seen.

:) i normally give the two foods together to help her put weight on....all my darling little rabbits love there Timothy hay :) the poo is just like brown water......but i think that she is starting to get a little better now as she is being a little cheeky!!and has started to tuck into her hay!luckily all 3 of my rabbits are indoor rabbits(and are a little spoilt)I'm hoping that in another hour she will be ok :? the pooing has slightly slowed so that is a good sign!!

an update on the runs

i took nibbbler to the vet today and she seems a little better, i just have to keep an observation on her and give her some medicine to replace the good bacteria in her digestive track.
thankyou everyone for your advice hope you all have a good new year

Back